Pets At Home

MrLiam

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have bought some tetras from pets at home but they died quickly. has any one had any good experiances

pets at home seems to be very variable depending on where you live some are good some are bad . im assuming that you added them to an established , and fully cycled tank?

did you acclimatise them for long enough?

have you got your water parameters?

what else is in the tank?

I have bought some tetras from pets at home but they died quickly. has any one had any good experiances
take than back and test your water i would not buy any pet from pet at home just food and bedding for my ferrets

A friend always buys his fish from our local Pets At Home and has never had any issues with them. As said, i think that its very variable as to what you get.

lets not start another rant at pets at home. as mark said some are better than others but they are a general pet shop not a lfs. if you dont like them thats fine but by going to buy food from there in my eyes is quite contradictory as its giving them money....... keeping them running....

i have 2 p@h in leicester near me and both seem quite good but as others say some arent as bad.

back to the op-

have you tested the water or even cycled the tank?

I have bough from P@H in the past ... and will carry on doing so. Never had a problem with them. Yes the staff may not have a clue what they are going on about, but I seen some worse independent fish shops!

As the advice says above: if your tank was fully cycled take them back to test your water, they may replace them. If your tank wasn't cycled there there is your problem :good:

DF

My LFS always replaces deads so long as you can prove your water is right. Mind you i've ben using them for years now so the #41#### well should do lmao.

I had a hampster once from P@H, he lived for years.

Water quality is always an issue and if they aren't climatised well enough the shock of change from your tank to the one they came from can be too much for them :(

It seems most all chain shops are like this. From what I have seen it comes down to each location's employees, their knowledge and ethics concerning fish.

The problem I often see is that they will have a good fish section at a location, for a while. Being a lower paid position, and the better employee in regards to aquatic care usually being the sort that is looking for a better position, finds a new job. Their replacement may, or may not be as adept in aquatic care, so things may change for the worse in a relatively short amount of time.

The flip side is that the opposite can happen, and a location that has been a poor choice for fish can shape up pretty quickly with an employee that looks at their job as more than a paycheck.

My local PaH is actually quite good but I only use them to buy equipment when I really have to, I have never bought fish from them. Otherwise, I just buy from my LFS.

Truthfully, I should actually see what fish they have in stock, they might have something nice.

Last time i looked they actually had some nice fish. Many are very young and subsequently come cheaper than older fully coloured specimins.

I hope this isn't going to end up another P@H bashing :rolleyes:

If you go back to the tank that your fish came from and they are all alive and healthy then the chances are it isn't their fault.

As long as they were netted without undue fuss then there will be a number of contributory factors

Firstly transportation. How long in the bag, temperature and handling.

Then, introduction into your tank. Was the bag suspended in your tank for at least half an hour to balance the temperature? Then gradually allow small amounts of your tank water to mix with the water in the bag, eventually allowing the fish to swim out of the bag into your tank.

Then of course the quality of your water. Are your ammonia/nitrite levels at zero? A sample of your water needs to be taken back to any LFS for testing before they take any action such as replacement or refund.

Another factor is compatibility with tank mates.

The only fish I ever got from P@H was a tiny Common Plec. That was over a year ago, it's now nearly 5" and is an extremely good looking and healthy fish :good:

Most reactions

Back