Pet Store had 2 male Bettas in 1 tank!!!

I was being humorous; relax! :lol:

I am in wrestling because there should be a control, no implications on the fish of course.

as for any issue about your male instinct, well maybe if you tried wrestling (or boxing, football, la cross, other martial arts etc.) you'd find the feeling I'm talking about and agree with me. :rolleyes:

wow! i would have pointed and laughed at that guy! just shows how much people who work at certain lfs DONT KNOW!!! if i was you i wouldnt have been able to keep my mouth shut!

ok i dont get this? well these bettas are different?? they cant be different its called instincts!!! this is one thing that aggrivate me! even if they seem "different" they shouldnt be in the same tank! poor bettas! :angry: at the hands of an inexperienced keeper!!

Instincts... well.. perhaps it is possible to have more than 1 betta in a tank... but it's in their "instinct" to be the Alpha Male.. so they will fight to be number one and this you can see in loads of species... Lions, Wolves, etc. Anyone tries to take their place, well they're gonna kick some ass to keep it. Betta's are the same, want to be the alpha, so I guess it's possible to have more than one (in rare cases?) but like it was said, a box is a lot different than the wild

Well, those are my 2 cents

Lions and Wolves are both pack animals, apples and oranges. I honestly can't believe we are even debating this, where's the big mystery? :dunno:

Sorrell said:
Lions and Wolves are both pack animals, apples and oranges. I honestly can't believe we are even debating this, where's the big mystery? :dunno:
Heheh oops, :*) I hadn't thought of the whole pack animal thing, you are very quite right, two totally different things, sorry... i take back my two cents :p

ANYWAY, ok so it's not wise to keep more than one male betta in a tank, BUT what about the females, are they ok to keep together in a tank?

Yup, you can usually keep about 4 females in a tank together. They are a lot more like pack animals, who stick together and there is one alpha female.

Female tanks are quite possible if they are set up properly with docile fish. I personally have one and I know a few other members do as well. They need to be set-up with an obscene amount of plants, rocks, hiding spots, etc. You don't want any open areas where they could square off. Also I've found that a current helps because they are unable to sit still in the open which can start fights :thumbs:

:cool: Oooh, awesome thanks for the tip! I'm thinking of getting a few of those girlies in the near future, but didn't know they needed loads of hiding spots. How can you tell if they're docile? Can you just check them out at the lfs? I'm guessing if there's one chasing the others... that's a not so friendly gal?

With my female tank it has been a guess and check process. Some fish you can tell straight off that they are aggressive, others will nip and pick over a peiod of time. I also found adding in certain orders can make a difference. In any case make sure you have a back up plan for the females if they don't work out in a community.

edit- also try to buy them all around the same size and go with four or more...for some reason four is a magic number of getting along, but I've had the best luck with five :dunno:

I'm putting 2 Bettas in a 10g right now, under close observation, and a net on hand. They will go by each other, and flare, but they don't fight. will the flaring eventually turning to fighting?

so........it's not a good I dea to keep them toghther...IYO? I put in some hiding things too

Attachments

• Mvc_029f.jpg
    Mvc_029f.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 26
I have decided that I will not try to put 2 Bettas in my 10 anymore. I am not going to risk my Bettas that way. but thanx to all that tried to help

Most reactions

Back