Pest?

Orodreth

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I have just been looking at my new tank and noticed two things on the glass. Looking at the internet the only thing I've found is a variety of "Flatworm" and that they're a major pest? Do you think this is true and if so will just wiping them off be okay?

Thanks.

Now with pics! :blush:

NewTank056.jpg

NewTank055.jpg

NewTank058.jpg

Tough to say if that's a flatworm or not... If it is, you'll know as there will be quite the explosion of them :crazy:

Hi, I think it is flatworm as last year i put live rock in my seahorse tank that i bought from my lfs and ended up with lots of them appearing on the glass overnight. I was squashing them against the glass which i later found out is the worst thing to do as apparently they can release a toxin. The best thing to do is get a really small piece of airline and siphone them out. I would do it before you get to many as i had lots and it took me weeks to get rid of them. Every time i saw one i siphoned it out as multiply very quickly. I dont know if they do any actual harm to your tank but if you have lots they look horrible all over your glass. Salifert also sell something to get rid of them but you need a skimmer, activated carbon and a few other things that i cant quite remember. Hope this helps!

I'd thousands of them before
actually dont know how I got rid of them, think they just dissappeared.
At the time I think I was advised a mandarin would eat them, come to think of it I have a mandarin in my tank, wonder if thats why I bought him lol

Or it could be a little sea slug I have loads of them and besides eating the algae they don't do much else. Incidently long spine black urchins (Diadema Setosum) adore seaweed!!!! :good: a big thumbs up from the judge.

Regards

if it does turn out to be flat worms salifert flatworm exit works very well so ive been informed, had a big problem getting hold of it in the uk for a while as it used something that uk didnt want us to use, but its readily available now.

Most reactions

Back