Paint For Back Of Tank?

pscl227

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey!
I now thanks to you guys have a lovely tropical tank setup, but just really want to make those colours "pop" so i have decided to paint the back of my tank black (after playing around with lots of different coloured pieces of card!

So i was just wondering is thier any reccomended type of paint to use on the glass of an aquarium?

thanks for the help,

Paul

Not sure what sort of paint, but have you thought about sticking a black backing to the outside - your local fish shop should sell plastic rolls of the stuff (sometimes they have a different colour or pattern on the other side). Then if you change your mind in the future, it's easy to replace. You can either just tape it on, or you can get some special glue-y stuff to stick it on and spend ages getting all the bubbles out...
Good choice of colour, however you do it. :good:

Not sure what sort of paint, but have you thought about sticking a black backing to the outside - your local fish shop should sell plastic rolls of the stuff (sometimes they have a different colour or pattern on the other side). Then if you change your mind in the future, it's easy to replace. You can either just tape it on, or you can get some special glue-y stuff to stick it on and spend ages getting all the bubbles out...
Good choice of colour, however you do it. :good:

I agree, i personally wouldnt paint the back of the tank incase i changed my mind in the future. But if you wanted to i would go for either a matt black or an acrylic black which would be alot shineyer (if thats even a word) :unsure:

I used black gloss

oops, sry i already posted in this one.

most people say u need fancey paint. my last 3 tanks that i painted i used black gloss and it worked fine after around 8 coats. i know that sounds alot but mosty of the time i just painted the whole thing with loads of paint and once i finished the start was dry enough for another dollop.

oh yeah i also put a lamp inside so that i could see any spots that needed me to go over.

most people say u need fancey paint. my last 3 tanks that i painted i used black gloss and it worked fine after around 8 coats. i know that sounds alot but mosty of the time i just painted the whole thing with loads of paint and once i finished the start was dry enough for another dollop.

oh yeah i also put a lamp inside so that i could see any spots that needed me to go over.

You dont actually need that many coats, even if you can see thin lines of the glass through the paint, when the water is put in to the tank you cant seem at all (the water kind of magnifies the paint basically causing a blur not visible to our eye that manipulates it) - usually 2 coats is easy enough.

If ever you do it again, test it, u will see what i mean ;)

You dont actually need that many coats, even if you can see thin lines of the glass through the paint, when the water is put in to the tank you cant seem at all (the water kind of magnifies the paint basically causing a blur not visible to our eye that manipulates it) - usually 2 coats is easy enough.

If ever you do it again, test it, u will see what i mean ;)
Yep i agree with the above.
I use 2 coats of flat black acrylic (water-based).

i wouldn't use paint. if you change your mind later you're screwed. i would be more inclined to go for something which could be stuck on the back. or if the tank isnt too big, you could use slate tiles. i used them in my 2ft tank and they do the same job as any other background.

Most reactions

Back