Overcrowded ?

Djs7137

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey i have a 10g tank i just recently purchased a whole new set of fish and gave my others away. I have 1 Dalmatian Molly, 3 Tiger babrs, 3 Bloodfin Tetras, and 1 Pleco. Im just wondering if this is to overcrowded.

You are probably ok for now as they are probably small. Over time the pleco will most likely out grow that tank. Not sure about the others, the more experienced people can commment on that.

Hey i have a 10g tank i just recently purchased a whole new set of fish and gave my others away. I have 1 Dalmatian Molly, 3 Tiger babrs, 3 Bloodfin Tetras, and 1 Pleco. Im just wondering if this is to overcrowded.

plecos can get very big, too big for a 10g.

thanks guys......my pleco is always swimming up the glass like he is trying to get out :/ ive had him for a while though i hope he is okay

I would be very careful with such a small shoal of tiger barbs....they get VERY nippy towards each other and other fish if they are in groups of less than 6....I have a shoal of 11...just in case I get a few mean ones....

thanks guys......my pleco is always swimming up the glass like he is trying to get out :/ ive had him for a while though i hope he is okay

Do you know what type of plec it is? That would go a long way in determining if it will be ok in your tank. I don't have plecs myself, but I do know most of them grow quite large, but have heard some stay on the smallish side, not sure if the smaller ones are ok in a 10 g though. Also how big is he now?

dose your plec look like these
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=88
or
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=148
because if it dose then given the right size tank it will grow about as long as your tank (up to 2 foot)

If it's a common pleco, it won't be okay, since those things grow absolutely *LARGE*; I'd say get some cories if you want bottom feeders, and the tiger barbs may get a bit aggressive, too. ^^;

How about.... Hmm, well, maybe.... 1 more molly, and 3 or 4 more tetras.... Hmms.... :)

2 Dalmation Mollies
5 Bloodfin Tetras
5 Peppered / Dwarf Cories

Just an idea, hmm? ^^; :) :D

Not sure about the general stocking, but agree with the pleco being too big. My neighbour has one in his 72 gallon, and it is about a foot long (no idea what type), so I think there is a very good possibility that the pleco will get too large for the 10 gallon tank.

Most reactions

Back