Oto's

robert.sadler

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I was thinking of setting up my bowl with a male fighter some time soon but I was also thinking of putting about three oto's in there to keep the bowl both clean and active.

Now my question is is can I avoid putting a filter in there?

I have a small filter sat here but I would prefer not to use it as it would bother the fighter possibly resulting in him blowing out his fins.

I'm happy to do a load of water changes and what not and was just wondering if the oto's would keep healthily enough doing just this?

Your betta won't get angry at a filter. It's always good to filter any tank, regardless of size. Oto's will clean the algae, but not the ammonia or nitrates. You need a filter. :)

As Chibi said, it is always best to use a filter regardless of size. Ottos will need a filter and prefer to be in groups of 5+.
You can adjust the filter so it hits the back of the tank or some people cut a plastic bottle in half and attach that to the filter to help stem the flow.
What size tank/bowl were you thinking of getting?

As Chibi said, it is always best to use a filter regardless of size. Ottos will need a filter and prefer to be in groups of 5+.
You can adjust the filter so it hits the back of the tank or some people cut a plastic bottle in half and attach that to the filter to help stem the flow.
What size tank/bowl were you thinking of getting?

Cool I'll see if I can find a way to restrict the flow

The bowl is 14 litres to the fill level leaving about two inches off the top

I've got the heater etc there so I'll see if I can get that set up soon then :)

tank is to small for ottos and they need a mature tank as they can be quite delicate!

u are better keeping betta on his own as they are very unpredictible and could attack the ottos, but anyway you cant keep them in a tank taht size anyway as they need a group! :good:

tank is to small for ottos and they need a mature tank as they can be quite delicate!

u are better keeping betta on his own as they are very unpredictible and could attack the ottos, but anyway you cant keep them in a tank taht size anyway as they need a group! :good:

Cool what would you advise for with the betta?

Maybe some new shrimps ... hmmm

honestly nothing. male betta are that unpredictible are best kept alone, ive tried keeping other fish with them and even females can sometimes be the same but not as bad. my shrimp got eaten.

honestly keep it on its own it will prefer it and it is safer :good:

Most reactions

Back