Other hobbies

Thanks! I'm not sure "cool" is the right word. The expression "a bit odd" seems to come up occasionally among my friends. :lol:

Very, very cool. I was seriously into model planes when I was in high school/college a few years ago. Just static plastic models; always wanted to try RC but never had the money or space. I used to do dioramas--I did a really cool one of a 1:48 TBD Devastator crashed on a Pacific Island (which is where the lucky ones ended up), stuff like that, and the roof of my room always had a dogfight going on.

I quit doing all that sort of thing around 30 years ago, but last winter I built a 1:48 A-10 to hang in my garage workshop. Did it in 80s Cold War colors, and hung it up to look like it's diving in on a tank column. Felt like a homecoming of sorts.
pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
I dabbled in RC gliders when I lived near the beach with upslopes. Inexpensive, fun to build, and 2-axis controls on the beginner models were easy to fly. I tried using hi-starts, basically a HUGE rubber band staked to the ground but that took enormous amounts of space.

Thanks! I'm not sure "cool" is the right word. The expression "a bit odd" seems to come up occasionally among my friends. :lol:
Fly fishing, hiking, exploring, the bible.... Idk if I'd have the guts to kill a beautiful creature like a deer. But I do own a "cheap" bow I haven't really used yet. I want to just have it for target practice.
But what you do sounds epic! Not "odd" I think you like to do things other people are too lazy to do.
So I'm sticking with the words cool and epic 😅

Fly fishing, hiking, exploring, the bible.... Idk if I'd have the guts to kill a beautiful creature like a deer. But I do own a "cheap" bow I haven't really used yet. I want to just have it for target practice.
But what you do sounds epic! Not "odd" I think you like to do things other people are too lazy to do.
So I'm sticking with the words cool and epic 😅
Well, I did say I'm really good at lying around, too. A little too good, some days. :) What kind of bow do you have? Archery is one of my happy places. 🏹

Well, I did say I'm really good at lying around, too. A little too good, some days. :) What kind of bow do you have? Archery is one of my happy places. 🏹
Lol. Yeah me too... But if I had my own car and a license I would probably be going so many places to explore... I love a good mountain river.

I don't know the brand or what type really. I got it a while back with my own money. It's a junior one but it definitely should still be a great starting bow.
I'll take a photo and PM you later Badger... I'm busy rn.

I don't usually follow these threads, but this one has me wondering what a "hobby" is. I like to think of it as a non essential activity you don't do for a primary income.

I figure people mentioning bible studies doesn't work if they're Christians - isn't that something you guys are supposed to do? For me, it was a hobby at one time. But it isn't important for me. Other books are, and I wouldn't consider reading history or popular science a hobby - it's kind of an essential to how my mind works. It's like eating, a necessity. But cooking could be a hobby, so I guess it's a question of degrees.

Travel is another fundamental for me - I do it as often as I can. I'm looking forward to when my wife is well enough and I can walk on some ordinary city street in a new place that's anything but ordinary for me.

Is walking a hobby or something I do to get into shape for travel, and for living as long as I can? Hmmm. Degrees again.

Is fishkeeping a hobby? I did make money at it for years, and it was starting to feel like a job as much as a hobby. That's when I switched to killies, because there is no way to make a job of them. They're work, but they sure don't pay. I've never made my main income from writing either. Hobby, pastime or sideline?

For a number of years early in my working life, I had jobs that didn't interest me in the slightest, and it was my after work activities that kept me sane. Would writing, playing sports, keeping fish or going to see as many bands as humanly possible have been hobbies at that time? I know the gallivanting, carousing and rambling don't qualify, but what if the activity outside of employment matters more than the job?

Hmmmm.

I don't usually follow these threads, but this one has me wondering what a "hobby" is. I like to think of it as a non essential activity you don't do for a primary income.

I figure people mentioning bible studies doesn't work if they're Christians - isn't that something you guys are supposed to do? For me, it was a hobby at one time. But it isn't important for me. Other books are, and I wouldn't consider reading history or popular science a hobby - it's kind of an essential to how my mind works. It's like eating, a necessity. But cooking could be a hobby, so I guess it's a question of degrees.

Travel is another fundamental for me - I do it as often as I can. I'm looking forward to when my wife is well enough and I can walk on some ordinary city street in a new place that's anything but ordinary for me.

Is walking a hobby or something I do to get into shape for travel, and for living as long as I can? Hmmm. Degrees again.

Is fishkeeping a hobby? I did make money at it for years, and it was starting to feel like a job as much as a hobby. That's when I switched to killies, because there is no way to make a job of them. They're work, but they sure don't pay. I've never made my main income from writing either. Hobby, pastime or sideline?

For a number of years early in my working life, I had jobs that didn't interest me in the slightest, and it was my after work activities that kept me sane. Would writing, playing sports, keeping fish or going to see as many bands as humanly possible have been hobbies at that time? I know the gallivanting, carousing and rambling don't qualify, but what if the activity outside of employment matters more than the job?

Hmmmm.
Interesting points: What is a hobby? That's why I asked if Bible study is a hobby--I am a Christian, so it isn't just for fun, but I do enjoy it. But then I (mostly) enjoy my job, too, and that isn't a hobby. Hunting and fishing are hobbies, but they occasionally do put some groceries in the freezer. Same goes for gardening.

The Google oracle defines hobby as "an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure," so I guess if it isn't your job, and your main reason for doing it is that you enjoy it, it qualifies.

Air Force 1

The soles are clear so that a design can be seen underneath. They still have the original laces too. I bought them a long time ago from a charity shop. They have barely been worn and they hurt alot when I put them on (feels like a metal ridge around the back of the heel that digs into my foot which I have since discovered is a normal thing for Nike). They are in the shed somewhere.
I have no clue what you’re talking about, you’re being confusing. 😂

Post a picture if you can.

I have no clue what you’re talking about, you’re being confusing. 😂

Post a picture if you can.
Read the link on my original post, it shows you the Children With Cancer special trainers by Nike from 2008. I have a pair of the Brandi berger ones, they are Air Force 1 Nike done with a very special design by the 15 year old patient.

Nothing remotely confusing if you manage to actually read the link provided.

Surely someone like you who is into buying different trainers/sports shoes should know what a Nike is.

Surely someone like you who is into buying different trainers/sports shoes should know what a Nike is.
No way, I’ve never heard of Nike before. What is it?
9CDCD5C2-1FFC-4329-A9BF-89166B19C082.png
Over 3/4 of my collection is Nike, I definitely know what Nike is fam. I’ve been buying from them for over 6 years now. 😂

The way you said it was confusing, I had never seen that model before, and can’t even find it on StockX or GOAT.

Also, I know what boernbecher freestyles are, I’ve sold them before.

——-

They won’t be near what you think they’re worth since they aren’t DS anymore.

I've never been one to really care about shoes. Shoot, I was wearing ankle high slippers when I went grocery shopping today. ;)
Most people don’t get the hobby really. You really just have to understand to understand. Doesn’t make any sense but it’s true. 😂

How you even have enough money for fishkeeping and shoes. That's the earth's greatest question

Ah ok... For some reason I thought you were under the working age
Hes barely of working age, he has a part time job, legally cant do full time because of labor laws

Most reactions

Back