Oscars

p1ngu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Dont know wether oscars are africans or americans, just wondering what fish they do best with? if any?

Thanks.

They can be kept with other similar cichlids, or large shoaling fish like silver dollars or tinfoil barbs.

They do best, however, in a species tank of suitable size

Oscars are really cool fish, but you need a big tank (75 gal min). You need big filtration, these guys are a mess when they eat. It seems almost as though they have a personality or relate to to you somehow, but more than likely its just from repetative actions . They will eat from your hand, come to the top of tank and soak you at feeding time. They are not really that aggressive, but eat anything that will fit in their mouth and will harrass some smaller fish.

I had one for five years,he reached 13", he decided to eat the heater one day and died about a month later, starved to death from glass being stuck in throat, so you need a special heater like the new visetherm stealth which is unbreakable. If you have the ability to have a large tank and alot of filtration its worth the effort.

An oscar can live with many fish , firemouths, convicts,silverdollars, severums, ect. must be large and equal aggresion.

swampcat said:
Oscars are really cool fish, but you need a big tank (75 gal min). You need big filtration, these guys are a mess when they eat. It seems almost as though they have a personality or relate to to you somehow, but more than likely its just from repetative actions . They will eat from your hand, come to the top of tank and soak you at feeding time. They are not really that aggressive, but eat anything that will fit in their mouth and will harrass some smaller fish.

I had one for five years,he reached 13", he decided to eat the heater one day and died about a month later, starved to death from glass being stuck in throat, so you need a special heater like the new visetherm stealth which is unbreakable. If you have the ability to have a large tank and alot of filtration its worth the effort.

An oscar can live with many fish , firemouths, convicts,silverdollars, severums, ect. must be large and equal aggresion.
+1 on not having anything glass in the tank.
Mine one day decided he didn't like the thermometer in the tank and smashed the bottom bulb of it though fortunately didn't let go any of the red stuff.

A more economical heater I've found has been from big al's it's made by via aqua titanium tube. 300W is under 20 bux and they work great.

swampcat said:
[...] They will eat from your hand[...]
Eh-heh heh, that they will. They'll also later mistake your fingers for food as you carelessly let them dangle in the tank while doing water changes. It's not a pleasant feeling when one bites you and his mouth closes on your cuticle. Not horrifically painful, but not pleasant. :|

Synirr said:
swampcat said:
[...] They will eat from your hand[...]
Eh-heh heh, that they will. They'll also later mistake your fingers for food as you carelessly let them dangle in the tank while doing water changes. It's not a pleasant feeling when one bites you and his mouth closes on your cuticle. Not horrifically painful, but not pleasant. :|
At one time I had 4 tigers about 1.5" each. I fed them by hand till they hit about 4 inches then they got so competitive during feeding that I had to just open the lid throw the food in and slam the lid shut to avoid them jumping out of the tank.

Though unfortunately at the time my LFS told me I'd be perfectly find to have 4 Tiger oscars in a 46 Gallon tank. Little did I know! (this was about 10 years ago.)

Most cichlids will eat from the owners hand sooner or later...

Most reactions

Back