oscar not eating

7ish pH, ammonia and nitrite all 0. I added more water, I will do another change tomorrow.

I think you should be alright on the water changes if the toxins are not present. IME oscars are very, very messy fish. Not to the point where I need to do weekly water changes or anything like that. I am finding myself having to vacuum the gravel bed every other week. They will also shred the foam that you get on plants from petco. I think they do that for fun. Try adding guppies and keeping them alive in the tank until he starts eating. My new oscar I got yesterday won't eat. I find that I'm having to leave the food in the tank and the oscar eats it after I depart. Doubt our problems are related though.

She's still just sitting on the bottem, occasionally moving.

Doesn't look good. :(

We have an albino Oscar who used to have hole in the head and was sold of cheap in the pet shop as a `needs a good home and TLC`.
He does fine now but where do people get all these ideas about feeding him live foods?
If you are only feeding cichlid pellets it can cause amssive constipation problems.
Try feeding some mussels, cockles, prawns etc. Just break off small pieces because they can be hard to chew.

Also, keep in mind that too many water changes may kill off all the bacteria in the tank.
We once had a major water problem when the water company added a chemical to the water and wouldn`t tell us what it was, we added a poly filter. It`s like a filter sponge and removes any harmful chemicals and things like copper.

Add as much oxygen as you can and make sure there is a good movement on the waters surface.

Best of luck, you obviously love your fish a lot.

Forgot to add, we keep our oscar (Jack) on sand substrate. It helps clean the gills as they pick up sand in their mouth and sift it through the gills. He loves to make sandcastles all over the tank!

GodricPuffer said:
That looks like hole in the head to me...
What led you to that, And what should I do if he has it.

I thought you already treated him for hole in the head and a bunch of other stuff too... Have U tried planting your tank yet?

We havn't treaded him with medications because I couldn't match up his symptoms to a specific medication.

It sounds like an internal parasite to me. Those are extremely hard to diagnose...

I am not sure what to do next, I have added salt, tryed types of live food, beef heart, water changes.

She's for the last day or so been just sitting right behind the air pump. :(

She still has cloudyness in her eye and I notice that the right side of her head seems to have some stuff on it, I am not sure how to describe it but I also see a small white thing coming out from the side of her hear, doesn't look like ich or something and it doesn't move so I am not sure what to think.

I uploaded a series of videos and pictures here to give anyone interested a better idea, I also finally got the eye cloudyness in a couple of the images.

Most reactions

Back