Orca Tl450 Nano Reef Log

excellent choice :good:

By the way, are you sure your hitch hiker is a clove polyp - looks more like organ pipe?

Seffie x

:fish:

excellent choice :good:

By the way, are you sure your hitch hiker is a clove polyp - looks more like organ pipe?

Seffie x

It could well be! Various folks have different opinions on what they could be! Lol

My crab trap worked!!!..... Sort of, it caught one of my hermits! I can't seem to tempt the crab I want to catch, and after seeing him try to grab one of my snails I want to catch him sooner rather than later! :(

Back from trip to LFS, couple of new additions:

Halloween Hermit:
IMG_6047.jpg

Zoa (Just after adding to tank):
IMG_6051.jpg

Zoa (About 30 mins later):
IMG_6052.jpg

I also saw one of my red legged hermits move into a new shell this evening. Here he is as he sizes up the new shell:
IMG_6049.jpg

Hey all,
Sorry haven't updated in a while! Basically it is still going well.
Just ordered a 50 GPD RO unti from RO Man, so I won't have to buy water anymore. :D :D

However, one thing I completely forgot to do from the off was add some Rowaphos into my setup. :( So I will have to get some to get my phosphates down. I read that I will have to add more than usual, as phosphates have probably already built up to a higher level by now. So will have to get a phosphate test first also to determine how much I have to use.

My pH is still quite high, consistently at 8.6 (although it did drop to 8.4 in last test). Can anyone think of a reason for this?

Are you buying water from the lfs - if so, test that before you put it in the tank :good:

Seffie x

Are you buying water from the lfs - if so, test that before you put it in the tank :good:

Seffie x

Never thought of that! lol thanks!

Another thing is that I am not really happy with my flow at the moment. I have a Koralia Nano in there, but still not sure where to put it. I have also ordered a Maxi-Jet 1000 to put into the final chamber and connect that up to the spray bar for better surface movement.

Maybe I should put the Nano on the right side panel, towards the front pointing down towards the rock? Basically opposite corner of the tank to where the spray bar is.

Is the RO Unit I got (RO-Man 3 Stage 50 GPD + DI Unit) as easy to setup as it seems? I read through the manual and it seems very straightforward, but usually I see that and when I get the unit it is a different story! lol

I have read a few threads here about setting them up and I think a few of the main things I need to keep in mind are:
1. Use the ball valves so I can turn off the RO Water Output & Waste Output lines off when I am not using it without having to turn off the water supply into the unit, and that this keeps the membranes wet.
2. That the main unit should be at a lower level to the pipes?
3. To flush the unit regularly (I think there is a flush mechanism on this unti)

Also are there any other tools I need to have ready for the install. I presume I need a drill + 6mm bit to drill an access point into my output pipe for the waste output on the RO unit. Also will need some silicone to seal this up. Anything else that people found usefull during the install?

Another thing is, what sort of TDS reading do you usually get when you know you have to change the membrane?

Thanks in advance for the help, this forum & the members in it has thought me an incredible amount already!! :D

PS: One other thing. What is your process for getting the water? Do you just turn on the unit when you need to water and direct the output line into a bucket, then turn it off when it is filled? Or do you have the water going into a dedicated resevoir with an automatic cut off system when it is full?

Is the RO Unit I got (RO-Man 3 Stage 50 GPD + DI Unit) as easy to setup as it seems? I read through the manual and it seems very straightforward, but usually I see that and when I get the unit it is a different story! lol

It is, just make sure you put it on a mains pipe :good:

I have read a few threads here about setting them up and I think a few of the main things I need to keep in mind are:
1. Use the ball valves so I can turn off the RO Water Output & Waste Output lines off when I am not using it without having to turn off the water supply into the unit, and that this keeps the membranes wet.
2. That the main unit should be at a lower level to the pipes?
3. To flush the unit regularly (I think there is a flush mechanism on this unti)

:good:

Also are there any other tools I need to have ready for the install. I presume I need a drill + 6mm bit to drill an access point into my output pipe for the waste output on the RO unit. Also will need some silicone to seal this up. Anything else that people found usefull during the install?

No nothing, it comes with what you need if you are putting it straight into the pipe as I did - you just need to buy the ball valves

Another thing is, what sort of TDS reading do you usually get when you know you have to change the membrane?

5 - 10

Thanks in advance for the help, this forum & the members in it has thought me an incredible amount already!! :D

You are welcome

PS: One other thing. What is your process for getting the water? Do you just turn on the unit when you need to water and direct the output line into a bucket, then turn it off when it is filled? Yes

Or do you have the water going into a dedicated resevoir with an automatic cut off system when it is full? Some do

Seffie x

Seffie has already answered the main bits. Just to add I would personally use a washing machine Y adaptor so you can just screw it in with your washing machine pipe instead of putting a hole through the pipe with the rubbish saddle valve.

I have had my RO unit for close to two years now and never replaced anything in it. Still get 0 TDS out of it. Just make sure the membrane stays wet (I have a ball valve on the waste out, good water out and water in pipes) and that you flush the membrane for a good couple of minutes once a week.

With regards to the powerhead. You might have to experiment when you start getting corals but basically I would have it at the back or to the side pointing into the rocks. You want as much flow around the rocks as possible (though you may have to create higher or lower flow spots for certain corals).

I agree with Barney the Y adaptor is excellant :good: I think what you need to buy is in either Seffie/trod or Big C thread. Its very easy. My mate's a plumber & he said doing it that was the best way. Less leeks. Also it may invlidate your insurance if you use the screw method (sorry to scare poeple). Because it is an adption into a pipe not professional done by a plumber. I may be wrong though...

Not sure about the insurance thing but when I used that valve when i first set my RO unit up it leaked like hell and I ended up covering it all in a roll of plumbers tape (my DIY skills are an awesome sight to behold ;) ).

I got 2 new pumps for my system delivered today (At the beginning I bought one to put in the 4th chamber but don't like it!).
I am putting the Juwel Powerhead 1000 into the 1st compartment to replace the stock pump there. I am going to remove the UV filter and have this pump connect to a Boyu WG308 Skimmer, which should be arriving in the next few days.
I am putting the Maxi-Jet 1000 powerhead into the 4th/final compartment, and I am going to hook this up to the spray bar. (On the off chance, does anyone know what size of airline/piping will connect to the Maxi-Jet output pipe & onto the spray bar "hole")

Once these are installed and running, I am going to move my heater into the 4th compartment with the Maxi-Jet and move my rubble into the 3rd chamber, where I am also going to put in Rowaphos.
This should have all been done at the beginning, but you live and learn! Hopefully this will give a much improved flow through my system. :)

The next mod will be to get a blue moonlight LED strip to replace the pretty useless stock LEDs in the system.

Most reactions

Back