Orca Tl450 Nano Reef Log

It looks like a rogue Aiptasia has sprung up in my new zoa colony and is killing them! :(
I couldn't get a good picture, you can only see some of its tentacles, but I am 99% positive this thing is an aiptasia. You can see how it is stinging the life out of the zoas. :( :(

IMG_6173.jpg

Unfortunately I have no joes juice or anything similar. Is there any other way I can get rid of this thing before it causes any more damage to my colony?

May be a little nudibrach ..see if it can be prised from between them with a cocktail stick,etc...these will be clear with little feathers down their backs and up to 10 mm in length...often come in with zoas and should be removed...if colony isn't attached with milliput ,etc, remove it and dip it into fresh ro , at tank temp for about 10/20 secs.

If an aip..mix lemon juice with ro and calcium buffer and inject this into the little blighter...careful not to get too much onto the zoas as they wont appreciate it either.

May be a little nudibrach ..see if it can be prised from between them with a cocktail stick,etc...these will be clear with little feathers down their backs and up to 10 mm in length...often come in with zoas and should be removed...if colony isn't attached with milliput ,etc, remove it and dip it into fresh ro , at tank temp for about 10/20 secs.

If an aip..mix lemon juice with ro and calcium buffer and inject this into the little blighter...careful not to get too much onto the zoas as they wont appreciate it either.

Cheers for the tips Buddy. :good:
I am pretty positive it is an Aiptasia, from the other side you can see the disc with all the tentacles radiating around it. Plus, I have just spotted another one on my live rock! At least I think it is another one...how fast can these things move? The reason I ask is I can't see the one in the Zoas anymore, but one of my hermits recently walked over it so could be just hiding.

My fiancee works in a hospital and will be getting my some hypo needles tomorrow so I can try inject the little ******s!

Do you think some of those Zoas are dead?

Zoas are normally resilient and should re open if he is wiped out..if not the neighbouring ones will soon re cover the gap....
They will retract quickly on contact if aips...consider adding a peppermint shrimp and all your aip problems will be over....
Zapping them will explode the current offender, but often in time, they will bud out from it's base ,leaving you with several smaller ones where you once only had one..hardy litle B******s!!!

Zoas are normally resilient and should re open if he is wiped out..if not the neighbouring ones will soon re cover the gap....
They will retract quickly on contact if aips...consider adding a peppermint shrimp and all your aip problems will be over....
Zapping them will explode the current offender, but often in time, they will bud out from it's base ,leaving you with several smaller ones where you once only had one..hardy litle B******s!!!

Yep they retract quiet quickly when I poke them. I have found 3 in my tank this evening! :-(
Does the superglue trick work? (ie: take the rock out and superglue over them)

No the super glue trick doesn't work, they just move and come out somewhere else!! Get yourself a soldering iron and burn the b****** :devil:

Seffie x

:fish:

Haven't tried that one b4 dave but sounds interesting..always worth a try i'd say..try it out on one and see how it goes
Be sure to post up your results here as am really interested to see if it works as a lot safer than squirting aip napalm around your tank,lol...

Then may the Aiptasia Inquisition begin!

Although it looks like a couple of them can retract quite far into the rock, so it may be difficult to get to them....

Wehay, he's got the bug,lol

Clock is on count down and ticking for these pics now.......

Consider scooting up to lisburn and visiting grosvenor tropicals mate...often meet a lot of southern keepers in there on a sunday...it'll blow your mind, and melt the credit cards,lol....

Most reactions

Back