One dead & one missing

nickylu

Reaction score
Hi I put this same question in the wrong section before. i put it in the newbie section not knowing the rules oops!.

i have had my tank running for about about 2 months now and lost a black widdow about 4 weeks after setting up. i thought this may be down to the nitraite levels of the newly set up tank, all though i thought it was a hardy fish.

I cleaned my tank the other night and found 1 dead neon. i checked the tank by counting the other fish and one neon was missing. i have looked in the filter searched every where even in the gravel. i have not found it any where. i dont think any of my fish are big enough to eat it ????? :dunno:

i havent got any testing kits, anyone recomend which ones i need. i normaly take samples to the lfs they seem to have been really honest so far. They asked me to take a sample before i bought any fish to make sure it was right. they told me it was.

could i have siphoned it by accident :-( they normaly keep out the way and i tend to herd them to the side im not working on. I do about a 20 - 25% water change every week.

Shine a torch into the filter to see if you can see it if it is a juwel tank, you will need nitrite,nitrate, and ph test kits, I buy tetra brands but they are other makes out their just as good, good luck, what type of neon is it as neon tetra's need a
muture tank of 6 months, as they are not a cycling fish.

i lost two khuli's in the filter about 2 weeks ago, and i looked for them in there three times even opening it up twice before I saw them in there five days later. Give it another go with looking in the filter,... or maybe you did suck it up, i sure hope not :no: :no: good luck

Had another look in filter torch not very good, could not see very far down with it ill have another go tomorrow.

And yes it is a neon tetra i did have 12. now there is 10 and 1 missing. i was told this was a hardy fish (mabey i shouldent have trusted the lfs but i did). I put 6 in then another 6 before putting in my widdows. What should i do?. the rest seem happy but im no expert. my friend might have them. but his discus are hard to keep from having diseases he may not want them in case.

ill buy my tests tomorrow ill let you both know how i get on,
thank you.

Hi there> I lost some orange neons when setting up my tank. Had 5 then 2 went and I could only find 1. I think other fish are quite partial to snacking on the newly dead fish, and they even eat their own fry I hear :sick: Shouldn't worry too much.
I'm only a newbie but it sounds like you may be adding more fish a bit quick. My lfs said nitrites go up ever time you add more fish even if they were zero to begin with. Good luck :thumbs:

hi ive done some readings today, i think they are all good ? :dunno:

ammonia = none
ph = 7.5
nitrate = less than 5 mg (only slight trace of colour)
nitrite = less than 0.1 mg (again only very slight trace of colour)

i think the ammonia would of been high if the fish was dead in the tank ??. so it might have been eaten, still alive somewhere, or i have siphoned it.

what should i do with the neon tetras should i find a new home for the as really i should not have them in a 2 months set up tank ?. will they be ok?.

I would wait and see what happens to the other Neons, I cycled my tank with them before I found this forum and didn't have any problems.... I think it just depends if you get good stock or not.

Most reactions

Back