Nitrite Problem

alchap10

Reaction score
HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!

Bought a tank three weeks ago, 2 weeks ago i put plants in..

I was regulary testing the Ammonia levels and the nitrite levels. I was waiting before I put fish in my tank as the ammonia level seemed to be staying at 0.25 ppm (mg/l), even though the nitrite levels were fine (0 ppm). I was planning on doing the fishless cycle.

Unfortunatley my girlfriend had different ideas when I went away for the weekend, and thought she would surprise me buy buying some fish, (6 neon tetras and a dwarf guppy).

We have lost a tetra this evening so I thought it would be best to take some readings. The ammonia is still at 0.25 but the niitrite has shot up to 0.50.

Is this just part of the cycling process? Should I do a water change before I lose mre fish? Your help is greatly appreciated.

I've only just started with this hobby but:

- Yes you'll need to start daily water changes to keep the levels low while it cycles
- Those are not the hardiest of fish to begin with

If at all possible I would recommend taking the fish back to the shop for their own sakes. My tank just finished a fishless cycle, Zebra Danois next up.

Hope this helps.
- James

2-3 day per 25% water change would be able to bring it down. Just do it for a weeks or so and then check water states again to see if nitrite problem is getting better.

just keep monitering water and doing changes. i have just had an ammonia and nitrIte spike in my tank and the only cure was daily water changes and just keeping fingers crossed! hope it works out mate!

As everyone else has suggested, keep testing the nitrite and ammonia and do water changes accordingly. Even though they are both toxic, if you can keep them at .25 or less you should get by without a lot of losses although neons aren't very hardy and need very good water conditions.

I'm getting my nitirite spike now and the water changes do make a difference. Luckily for me I have tiger barbs and they are like natural nitirite sensors, so I know when I need a change.

Blade118 said:
Hey
just wondering is PH 7.5 good for a 18 gallon tank
[snapback]861687[/snapback]​
It really depends on the fish you have but most all fish will be fine with a pH of 7.5

i have leopard danios and penguin tatras is this ok for the ph if not how do i solve it

Those fish will do great in that pH. I looked at a profile on penguin tetras and it looks like all they require is that the water be wet. It said temp range of 64 to 82, pH of 5.8 to 8.5, KH of 4 to 20. You'd be hard pressed to find water that was outside those ranges. Danios generally prefer pH between 6.5 & 7.5. In general, most fish can adapt to a wide range of pH values as long as the pH is stable. Don't try to adjust it with chemicals. That will cause too much fluctuation.

and can i say how do u write in other topics

i try to write stuff but it says error WHY

in fact is says this

Board Message
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:
Sorry, you do not have permission to reply to that topic

Useful Links
Forgotten Password Recovery
Register a new account
Our help documentation
Contact the forums administrator

I'm not certain why that is happening. I don't think I have ever seen that message. I do know that you have to be logged in to post but since you are posting here, that shouldn't be the problem. You might want to PM or email one of the Moderators and ask them.

Most reactions

Back