Nitrate / Ammonia problem

Pog

Reaction score
Hi All,

To cut a long story short (full story in Newbie Forum), we had to take fish out of a tank with a sick fish in it and place them in a new (non-cycled) tank. We would not normally have done this but it was an emergency and this was the only logistically sound way of doing it.

We knew that this would mean many water changes at all hours and the necessity of adding bacteria. The problem is this is still going on 1 week later. We still have to change the water at 4am and twice more during the day due to Nitrite and sometimes, ammonia levels. We would have expected the aquarium to stabilise by now. We were thinking of adding a Nitrite filter pad of some kind.

We don't mind the work but we are concerned about the level of stress that the fish are being subjected to.

Any ideas? :dunno:

Many thanks,
Ken & Debbie.

If the tank was not cycled then it is going to take some time to grow enough bacteria to cope with the fish. I have a tank filter die on me at xmas and it took close to three weeks before it stable again. I know its hard work but the water changes are a better alternative and less stressful for the fish than high ammonia levels. Do you know anyone else or do you have an established filter than you could sqeeze into the new tank filter?

Hi Pog, I had a similar problem about a month ago when my lyre swordtail girl went into a breeding tank. It was a fully new setup so it had to cycle as well, I only water changed once every day or 2, possibly there is not enough ammonia in the water with the constant changing for your tank to develop bacteria quickly. I suggest daily changes and consider adding some salt (if the fish can handle it) as well, because while it doesnt help (as far as I know) with ammonia it does help fight nitrite poisoning.

Katchan

Hi Katchan,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortuantely, we have two Dwarf Congo Frogs in the tank and we have been advised that they will not tolerate salt.

One very tired, :byebye:
Pog.

breezer40 said:
Do you know anyone else or do you have an established filter than you could sqeeze into the new tank filter?
Many LFS's will often sell some filtermedia, eg one of ours will sell you bioball for 90cents, not much overall but it's kick start on a cycle if you need it.

Katchan

Took breezer40's advice and squeezed out a jumbo poly filter and jumbo course filter from my large tank in to the one with the problem. We then added a Nitra-zorb pouch.

The aquarium has now stablised and the ammonia and nitrite levels have are now zero. We will continue to monitor it but this does seem to have done the trick.

Thanks ever so much for the suggestion.

A very grateful,
Ken & Debbie. :cool:

If you're treating the big tank for disease, I wouldn't put ANYTHING from that tank into the new tank. You could move the disease along with it. If the new tank is just a temporary tank until you get the other tank disease free, I would suggest something like ammo-lock. I wouldn't ever use chemicals in a tank that will be permanant but for a temp/hospital/quarantine tank it will work.

Edited for spelling.

No, the big tank is my own established disease free tank.

I think the confusion arises from the fact that there were, at one time, three tanks.

Regards,
Ken.

Most reactions

Back