newest fish

Firstly I am mad and sad ! Jay went to wharf took 2 photos off his mobile phone for me ov our perruno...he has been moved because something has taken to chomping on him :( Well actually seems he has probably been fighting with tanks mates. He was in a tank with a Redtail catfish, Giraffe catfish a 2 1/2 foot silver Arowana and 2 giant gourami's approx 1ft long. He has lost a chunk from his dorsal fin (hopefully it will grow back quick) :sad: Well it should only be about 2-3 weeks now before we can bring him home but I thought I'd post the 2 pics Jay took for me till we get him here and in his new tank then take proper photos to post ! I think he is beautiful ..sorry for the quality ov the pics plz bare in mind they were taken in a dark aquatics and from a mobile phone. :hey: I can't wait till we go and pick him up and bring him home whooooooo hoooooooo :* Oh just want to add if you havent read threw the last postings that this is a REAL perunno :nod:

Attachments

• Image000.jpg
    Image000.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 40
sorry, there is 9 rays in the dorsal :(

Attachments

• perruno_ray_count.JPG
    perruno_ray_count.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 43
got a post on catfish forum saying something else so i m just gonna say when asked what is in my 6ft tank "an arwana and a 14" catfish" soooooooooooooo confused :S

Fella said:
Is that the arrowana that was kept with the giraffe cat that had a wonky eye? He was amazing! I saw him in Wharf only a few weeks ago, and if I was living in my own accomodation with a tank suitable to take him, I would have snapped him up! Wharf are amazing, Im lucky to be in Nottingham because Wharf is near, and because I know I wont stress the fish out by getting them back home.

Which leads me to the next quesion, how did you get him home? Small plastic bag with a bit of stress coat spun round twice and tied in a knot?  :lol:
[snapback]892535[/snapback]​
Hi Fella.....that Arowana with the wonky eye (droop eye) was a Silver Arowana mine was in the tank opposite the one ur talking about. The silver wasnt for sale his owner took him to Wharf for treatment ov his droop eye. Mine is an Australian Pearl Arowana and at present 8" still a juvenile cant wait till he grows BIG! You may have seen the one I've got in there cos we'd bought it about 2 weeks ago but had to leave him there till the tank water was spot on.Answer to your second question we got him home just as you said lol plastic bag and did everything you should introducing him to new tank and water. The arowana wasnt stressed at all and settled very quick as if he'd always been here.
IVE been reading about arrowanas, the droop eye problem, i have read putting a small coloured floating ball in tank can prevent this, as it stops them looking down all the time for food?

Droopy eye only really affects silver arowana's and very occasionally Asian arowana's. I've never heard of a case of it in Australian arowana's.

I have a few bright coloured ping pong balls floating in my tanks but because drop eye aint really a problem for jardini's it also cant do any harm having them in there :)
Fella said:
Is that the arrowana that was kept with the giraffe cat that had a wonky eye? He was amazing! I saw him in Wharf only a few weeks ago, and if I was living in my own accomodation with a tank suitable to take him, I would have snapped him up! Wharf are amazing, Im lucky to be in Nottingham because Wharf is near, and because I know I wont stress the fish out by getting them back home.

Which leads me to the next quesion, how did you get him home? Small plastic bag with a bit of stress coat spun round twice and tied in a knot?  :lol:
[snapback]892535[/snapback]​
Hi Fella.....that Arowana with the wonky eye (droop eye) was a Silver Arowana mine was in the tank opposite the one ur talking about. The silver wasnt for sale his owner took him to Wharf for treatment ov his droop eye. Mine is an Australian Pearl Arowana and at present 8" still a juvenile cant wait till he grows BIG! You may have seen the one I've got in there cos we'd bought it about 2 weeks ago but had to leave him there till the tank water was spot on.Answer to your second question we got him home just as you said lol plastic bag and did everything you should introducing him to new tank and water. The arowana wasnt stressed at all and settled very quick as if he'd always been here.
IVE been reading about arrowanas, the droop eye problem, i have read putting a small coloured floating ball in tank can prevent this, as it stops them looking down all the time for food?

Well got the catfish home.......but it wasnt a success at all the Arowana wasnt having any ov it! All was fine for a few minutes but everytimes the catfish went to move the Arowana just kept going for him and attacking him. I couldn't give them time to settle down, it was just so bad seeing this happen so out came the catfish and back into the transport box straight back to the aquatics we bought him from. I have posted 2 pics i took when he arrived here pretty upset it didnt work out but its not fair on both fish to get stressed up like that....Mary :(

This is pic I took when box was opened....
PA280024.jpg

A closer pic.....
PA280025.jpg

I think he was a really beautiful catfish !

Gorgeous arowana and the catfish is superb as well! As Paul_MTS said: shame they didn't get on.
I was looking through your photo album and I really liked this picture (despite it being a little fuzzy): http://photobucket.com/albums/b374/maryjas...nt=DSC00141.jpg
It made me laugh! What a characterful species of fish ^_^.
I wonder if you wouldn't mind posting how much the setup and all the odds and ends cost you? Hope you don't mind me asking! I'm just very curious as to how much one would be looking to spend on such a great fish!

Hi..thanks for compliments well at the moment the arowana is in a "temp" tank which needed to be bought just until we could afford a larger tank for him. We have bought a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with solid pine cabinet and that cost £700 thats with a discount otherwise it would have been £895...the external filter cost us £140 which we also got at a bargain price because these normally sell for about £250..the heaters £20 ...sand approx will cost £20 we aint bought this yet and i dont know how much a good size piece ov bogwood will be yet. We are adding a 12" armoured catfish too as a tank mate this is about £25 and last but not least the Arowana cost us £65 when he was 8".That pic you like from photo album was when we first got him lol :) Mary
Gorgeous arowana and the catfish is superb as well! As Paul_MTS said: shame they didn't get on.
I was looking through your photo album and I really liked this picture (despite it being a little fuzzy): http://photobucket.com/albums/b374/maryjas...nt=DSC00141.jpg
It made me laugh! What a characterful species of fish ^_^.
I wonder if you wouldn't mind posting how much the setup and all the odds and ends cost you? Hope you don't mind me asking! I'm just very curious as to how much one would be looking to spend on such a great fish!

Most reactions

Back