Newbie Here(photos Fixed)

jeffm1000

Reaction score
Last week we (girlfriend and I) went to walmart to buy a bike pump and came back with fish and a a 30 gallon. Didn't know what was involved until after we got it home and set up. I started reading online and found out how interesting and fun this will be. We have 6 Zebra Danios, 3 Neon Tetras and 2 Emerald Cory Cats. Here are a couple pictures. One question I have is: Why do the Cats swim up and down the glass like they are trying to escape? Is that normal?

tank1.jpg

fish1.jpg

hi,
welcome to tff,
its normal for corrys to act like this as they take air from the surface,
please get a test kit and monitor ammonia and nitrite, and do reg water changes, also see how to cycle a tank in the beginners section. all the best donna :)

:hi: to the TFF, I';'ve no doubt you'll be hooked in no time.

Donnas advice is spot on, also don't add any more fish to your tank for at least a month.

Best of luck.

Welcome to the forums, like was said earlier you should wait to cycle your tank before you add more fish. Get a test kit and read up on how to do a cycle. Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions!

SLC

Thanks for the replies. Your advice is already taken. I've done and will do more reading on clycling the tank. Everything is still at zero excpet the amonia is climbing (.5) at the moment. No trace of nitrite yet. Should start seeing that shortly. I'll be doing a 10-15 water change today. As for getting hooked, too late. :good:

Welcome to the forums, like was said earlier you should wait to cycle your tank before you add more fish. Get a test kit and read up on how to do a cycle. Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions!

SLC

Your corys are just being playful. :) I'd get atleast 3 more. Corys like being in big groups.

Welcome to the forums, by the way! I'd suggest not buying fish from Walmart, though. They don't care much for their fish. Look for your local, privately-owned pet or fish stores. Big chains like Petsmart and Petco aren't great places to buy from because it's not their specialty. :nod:

I'd suggest not buying fish from Walmart, though. They don't care much for their fish. Look for your local, privately-owned pet or fish stores. Big chains like Petsmart and Petco aren't great places to buy from because it's not their specialty.
I buy all my fish from my LFS (Local Fish Shop) and all my supplies online from petsolutions.com or Petsmart. I try and support the LFS but he has ~250% mark up on all supplies.

Chibi----I won't be buying fish at Walmart, Petco etc. anymore. I found a local place not too far from here. Thanks for the advice.

I'd suggest not buying fish from Walmart, though. They don't care much for their fish. Look for your local, privately-owned pet or fish stores. Big chains like Petsmart and Petco aren't great places to buy from because it's not their specialty.
I buy all my fish from my LFS (Local Fish Shop) and all my supplies online from petsolutions.com or Petsmart. I try and support the LFS but he has ~250% mark up on all supplies.

i am loving the lookof ur tank! mine looks so boring compared 2 most of the ones on this site :( lol

Now this is my advice do not get Loaches until you have a fully cycled tank because if they get a illness due to poor water conditions they can be very hard to treat due to being scaleless. Also do not use Salt with cories and above all Enjoy and love your fish welcome to TFF

Most reactions

Back