Newbie Cycle

With the bicarb, just add a little bit at a time. You can always add more if you need to, and it'll probably take some trial and error before you get to know how much you need for your tank.

For the wood, I bought mine online and it took about a week or two to stop discolouring the water and sink, but it depends on the individual piece of wood. Mine has lots of rooty bits so a high surface area to volume ratio. For the water, plain tap water will be fine, and just change it when it gets discoloured. When you do your big water change at the end of your cycle, keep the water to rinse the wood before adding it to your tank.

Thanks for info just got to find a big enough tub to soak the wood

Some more photo's

Couple of twigs i bought

Wood.jpg

Some more rocks I had bought from my LFS before i found the granite

IMAG0111.jpg

Hi all

Ok next set of stats

Thurs 6/10

PH: 7.2 – PH High 7.6
Ammonia: 2.0ppm
Nitrite: 5.0ppm +
Nitrate: 5-10ppm again not quite red

add some bi-carb as i thought the ph was going down

Friday 7/10

PH: 7.6 – PH High 7.8 - 80
Ammonia: 0.5 - 1.0ppm
Nitrite: 5.0ppm +
Nitrate: 80 +ppm but not quiet 160ppm

Do i need to do a water change ??

Ian

Just watch the high Nitrates. Also, you really need to shake for the 30 secs and then the whole minute to get an accurate test.

My nitrates rose to 160-200 ppm and caused a massive pH crash which in turn caused my cycle to stall.

Just watch the high Nitrates. Also, you really need to shake for the 30 secs and then the whole minute to get an accurate test.

yeah did that

My nitrates rose to 160-200 ppm and caused a massive pH crash which in turn caused my cycle to stall.

how do i get the nitrate down ??? or is this all part of the process??

cheers

Water changes really. But remember to redose with ammonia.

Also, where abouts in Scotland are you?

When mine rose to almost 200 ppm I changed 100% of my water and redosed to 5ppm ammonia - But this depends on if the nitrates are causing the pH to crash or not. If not - just leave as is and keep an eye on the pH.

Ah. Ayrshire myself.

Good morning people today is a good day me thinks....just got my first double zero :good:..... nitrate sitting at 20-40ppm is this ok

So redosed with ammonia to 2-4ppm, so now recheck after 24hrs ?? if thats ok do another 24hr, then onto 12hr checks ??

When can i add wood and plants etc, better to wait till the cycle is complete?

Any advice much appreciated

Ian

Don't add plants until your cycle is done, as they consume ammonia and will give you lower readings that aren't due to your bacteria.

I've added wood to my tank which is still cycling, but only after soaking it for a few weeks until it stopped discolouring the water and sunk. Wood can sometimes cause a dip in ph, so make sure you keep an eye on it.

Don't add plants until your cycle is done, as they consume ammonia and will give you lower readings that aren't due to your bacteria.

I've added wood to my tank which is still cycling, but only after soaking it for a few weeks until it stopped discolouring the water and sunk. Wood can sometimes cause a dip in ph, so make sure you keep an eye on it.

Thanks very much for that :good:
got a couple of bits of wood which have been soaking for the last couple of days now, do any tannins from the wood show up right away or does it take a couple of days for the water to discolour??

Ian

It usually takes a few days, but it depends on how much is in the wood. Since you've not got fish yet, I'd just leave it to soak until you're getting closer to that stage.

It usually takes a few days, but it depends on how much is in the wood. Since you've not got fish yet, I'd just leave it to soak until you're getting closer to that stage.
i put my wood in to soak last saturday and the water is still clear. I agree..dont add plants until the cyle is complete.

Evening people

Right haven’t updated for a while, been really busy at work…. so since the last update I have been getting double zero’s every 36/48hrs but the last 2 redoses have been clearing at 24hr hours :good:

Tonight redosed again to 4/5ppm so the plan is keep going till clear in 12hrs…??? nitrate sitting at 40/80ppm

Then once I get a few double zeros on the trot start a qualifying week of 12hr testing is that correct????

Thanks in advance

Ian

Right quick update

Ammonia is clearing within 12hrs and has been for the last week now but nitrite is taking 24hrs to clear
I am continuing to redose to 4-5ppm........ How long does it take for nitrite boys to catch up ??

Cheers Ian

Most reactions

Back