New Weekly "off Topic" Topic No. 20 (18/06/12)

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I used to collect logo'd ashtrays from all hotels I stayed at (legitimate and declared at checking out - some hotels gave them to me.... others made me pay for them).....

My wife collects teaspoons from all over the world... she has around 2,000 of them and some dating back to the 1920's...

Down the road there is a guy who collects lawn from all our major rugby and football fields ... he'd visit the fields to watch a game and then when he leaves.... he digs up a small fragment of lawn from the field (with roots) and then plants it in a section of his garden until it spreads..... he has around 18 patches of lawn (about 3m x 3m each) in his yard all from different stadiums around the country....

Are you into collecting anything... stamps, porcelein owls or frogs??.... what do you collect?

Starbucks mugs from around the world. I either get them myself or if anyone I know is going somewhere I'll ask them to bring back one for moi. :)

Refrigerator magnets. Though it started as a mistake. My husband was traveling home from Iraq one time, and I asked for a souvenir from Egypt {His flight had a layover there} I wanted something exotic and beautiful as I have studied Egyptian history and love it. He came home and gave me a bundle of tissue paper! I was so excited, then fell out a plastic NEON orange pyramid magnet. :X It was the ugliest thing and Said Egypt in crooked letters across the front.

Now everytime he goes somewhere he gets a cheesy magnet for the refrigerator. :p I think it's funny....NOW.

Eggs.

No not the things that birds lay, but egg shaped chunks of mineral. I have around 60, and it is getting very hard to find ones I don't already have. They sit on a cupboard in the lounge and make a good talking point. The downside - dusting them :lol:

I started about 20 years ago on holiday. There was a shop selling natural stone jewellery, and they also had eggs, spheres, all sorts of shapes. My first two were green moss agate and snowflake obsidian. The malachite egg from the African museum in Brussels was my most interesting purchase, and the rhodocrosite egg was the most expensive.

I also collect thimbles, they are tiny so don't take up much room and are under cover in domes - easy to dust!

I collect dragon ornaments. I absolutely love them :)

Magnets! I get one from every major city or country that I visit :)

boxes of matches from every bar I went to. Needless to say, I had far too many of them by the time I stopped (collecting, not going to bars)

Discworld!!!!

That's Terry Pratchett & Paul Kidby (and the clarecraft models) to the uninitiated :lol:

Although it's an expensive hobby now so the items I do have now collect dust instead :lol: (more because too vigorous cleaning would damage them and reduce their value)

I collect the Tudor Mint Land Of The Dragons collection, so beautiful. Mainly the ones with butterfly wings but some of the others too.

lets see ive collected a few different things, my biggest one has been my stuff animals my mom and dad had to finally cut me off lol
but now i collect cameras paper weights and high heels im not girly at all grew up with 2 brothers but when it comes to high heels im addicted

I don't know if the Smurfs (early 1980's) was so popular all over, but I have (I think) the whole collection of them.... even the smurf house....Quite a collectors'item here in SA today.... will fetch a decent price.... and also the readers'digest magazines.... I have a full set from January 1971 to January 1995..... (and most of their consolidated books).....

hehe Ludwig, wasn't there an Off-Topic-Topic a while back about people who keep everything and you accused your wife of being guilty of hoarding....:hey:

hmmmmm :p

hehe Ludwig, wasn't there an Off-Topic-Topic a while back about people who keep everything and you accused your wife of being guilty of hoarding....:hey:

hmmmmm :p

The difference here lays in accumulating stuff and collecting stuff..... there is a subtle difference.....

Most reactions

Back