New to Fish Keeping

DuCoop

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Matt and I have found my new addiction.

In all seriousness, a friend of mine is moving and I am being gifted an incredible setup. Now that I get this tank in a week I'm doing a crash course on what I need to do. It will be empty (the existing fish are not coming with the tank) and I get to start from scratch. I really want to do a planted tank so those of you who frequent that part of the forum may see me over there shortly asking questions. So long story short I'm starting off with a 150 Gallon tank, Fluval FX6, Fluvall 400 filter with UV and some Fluval Bluetooth lights and a crash course in fish keeping.

Welcome to TFF. We're all hear to answer any questions you may have about setting up you tank. Be sure to enter your tank in our Tank of the Month contest. August's contest will be for tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger.

Hello. The first thing to make sure of is proper support. This includes both a heavy duty stand and placing the tank in front of a load bearing wall. A gallon of water weighs more than eight pounds and if you include all the bottom material, you're talking about a total of 1,500 pounds sitting on your floor. I'd keep that tank in my basement on a concrete slab. Good luck.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hi and welcome to TFF to start with...:hi:
Well, there are many members overhere who can and are willing to help you out with all of your questions...

Hello. The first thing to make sure of is proper support. This includes both a heavy duty stand and placing the tank in front of a load bearing wall. A gallon of water weighs more than eight pounds and if you include all the bottom material, you're talking about a total of 1,500 pounds sitting on your floor. I'd keep that tank in my basement on a concrete slab. Good luck.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
I appreciate the concern. It will be on the first floor with a concrete slab and the stand is coming with the tank. It was originally bought from a local fish store that specializes in the more high-end products.

First, discard the substrate and filter media, if any. These can both harbour pathogens that you do not want in your aquarium. The filter itself may be OK, what type is it? I ask because filtration in a planted tank is primarily dealing with water current, and some fish need strong currents, other fish do not need much of any current. So the filter is a major factor in the well being of the intended fish.

How are the heaters?

What fish do you like that might be contenders for this tank? This is the first important thing to determine, the intended fish, because they probably have requirements respecting not only the water current, but the aquascape--some must have soft sand, some must have chunks of bogwood, some must have rocks...etc. And the main thing to resolve concerning the fish is the water parameters, meaning the GH and pH, and KH (Alkalinity) also helps.

Most reactions

Back