New Tank

Thanks for the interest guys, not much has changed since the last pics, it’s pretty slow growth with the low light, except the lace plant is growing fairly fast, I will take some pics over the weekend and post them.
Here is a pic of a crystal red mum with eggs. One could almost believe the developing babies position themselves so that the can see their new world. :#

bbeyes.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Baboo j. always glad to get them. The shrimp at about an inch long wouldn’t make much of a meal tasty as she looks :) .

Here is a pic I took tonight, I am just running it on the light that came with the tank now it seems to be enough. Looks like the lace plant is going to be bigger than I expected, the two new big leaves are about seven inches long, they are pale as they are new. I guess the lack of algae is thanks tothe shrimp and the low light, the shrimp do a good job of keeping the plants clean. This tank is ideal for the lazy aquarist like me.

potank.jpg

The lace seems to be doing great, they are a tricky plant.

Sam

Tank is looking brilliant, the laceplant is doing well. As well as no algae you must have clear water, the leaves of laceplants are great nets for catching floating particles. The moss is great too.

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers guys, Corin I have some Tropica substrate and it’s the only rooted plant, so it has lots to feed on. I guess the low bioload must be helping the laceplant, I only feed every other day a bit of spinach and some ground flakes for the fan shrimps, maybe the temp of 22C helps too. It’s a stunning plant its nice to be able to grow it. Water changes are about 15% per week. Co2 is enough to drop the ph half a point just into the acidic range.

Hi Liam,

Great looking tank! :D Just a quick question, do the mosses in your tank lower the pH in the same way that Sphagnum moss would or is that property specific to that species?

NOTE: I am NOT advocating the use of Sphagnum for anybody trying to lower their pH, just curious as to whether any special maintenance has to be taken into consideration with mosses...

Tropicman; another pic with pleasure!

Benauld; Thanks for the compliment, the moss is no different in terms of changing water parameters than other plants. Are you maybe thinking of moss peat which does soften and acidify water.

Thanks Heather that was a very nice remark, there wasn’t much art in the planning of the tank, just tied the moss to the wood and sides and place them wherever they fitted.

Thanks Lucius this tank is probably much easier than your lovely colourful tank to maintain.

laceshrimp.jpg

Liam

This should defo be a pfk comp entry it looks awesome.

Where did you get the lace plant?

Andy

I got the plant as a bulb from the lfs. Tropica grow them so any supplier of their plants could get it. I had a look at the Greenline site and they stock them too. It is a spectacular plant and touch wood it doesn’t seem very hard to grow.
Thanks for the nice words; yeah I am pretty happy with how the tank looks now.
Another pic, this guy digs holes in the sand to make caves under the wood, sending up clouds of dust, the rascal, if he isn’t careful he will end up on the barbeque :rolleyes:

cam2.jpg

Most reactions

Back