New Tank Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you think the total cost of the tank will be as you can buy a tank that size for around £500

my shed is well insulated but still need the rad or the tank heaters are on a lot which are expencive to run as i have 2kw of heater

About £200 to fix the shed but that needed doing regardless of if a tank was going in it :) Tanks cost nothing so far !

Cost of tank will be the £100 for GLass.

if i was you i'd just screw some perspex over the whole window, its not the thickness of the perspex that will insulate but having the air gap in between the window pane and the perspex, i think that would be the cheapest way, i don't know what position the shed is in but if light shines directly through you'd be best with the perspex being a 'smoked' colour to act like a sunshade or you will get problems with algae like i do having it next to the conservatory! pain in the back side!

Glass got ordered at the weekend , hopefully not too long before it turns up, they said up to two weeks but better not be that long as im getting annoyed waiting around. Getting some fish shortly too, getting a bunch of Midas Cichlids and a trio of spotted gars:)

if i was you i'd just screw some perspex over the whole window, its not the thickness of the perspex that will insulate but having the air gap in between the window pane and the perspex, i think that would be the cheapest way, i don't know what position the shed is in but if light shines directly through you'd be best with the perspex being a 'smoked' colour to act like a sunshade or you will get problems with algae like i do having it next to the conservatory! pain in the back side!

Amen to that! My main tank is in front of a window which now that summer is coming around appears to get a lot of light. I'm slowly building up a small army of oto's to try and help with the issue :lol:

Can't wait to see more pics! :good:

Amen to that! My main tank is in front of a window which now that summer is coming around appears to get a lot of light. I'm slowly building up a small army of oto's to try and help with the issue :lol:

Can't wait to see more pics! :good:
Wish i could do the same with my other tank which is near the window, i have a l190 but they dont eat algae , oto's would be expensive feeders for my fish :(

only just seen this

well in Ben will look forward to seeing the progress of this!!

come on chop chop!!

wish i could just move my tank a bit, took 6 people to pick it up empty though so haven't got much chance now!
yeah i'd definitely get a bit of smoked perspex to cover the window, you will appreciate it in the long run as algae is horrible, if i found the person who invented algae i'd kill them! ha and also if the light shines through you won't be able to see them properly!
i have to use my algae scraper thing about once every 3 days and its not nice with big rays swimming around, not to mention that rocket gar, sometimes clamps onto my little finger! i need some dark blinds for the conservatory but hugo the dog rips them off!
i think the gars will look brilliant in a group of 3, and i bet they are amazing to watch get their food! im probably just going to have them instead of an arowana now, unsure how that many top dwelling fish will get on!
get some more pictures when you get the glass fixed on!

wish i could just move my tank a bit, took 6 people to pick it up empty though so haven't got much chance now!
yeah i'd definitely get a bit of smoked perspex to cover the window, you will appreciate it in the long run as algae is horrible, if i found the person who invented algae i'd kill them! ha and also if the light shines through you won't be able to see them properly!
i have to use my algae scraper thing about once every 3 days and its not nice with big rays swimming around, not to mention that rocket gar, sometimes clamps onto my little finger! i need some dark blinds for the conservatory but hugo the dog rips them off!
i think the gars will look brilliant in a group of 3, and i bet they are amazing to watch get their food! im probably just going to have them instead of an arowana now, unsure how that many top dwelling fish will get on!
get some more pictures when you get the glass fixed on!
Still no glass a week on , max of a week left for it to turn up though so shouldnt be too much longer. Got family up this weekend so will have to start making the sump when i get in from work etc... cba when i get in from work sometimes! Still not 100% sure on the exact size the sump is going to be think it might be shallow but wide and long.

Also havent drilled the holes into the side of the tank for the overflow, im going to get the piping first though so i dont go to big or small with the holes i make. I'm going to have two overflow holes on one side, same size holes and same hight probs could get away with one for now but it allows me to add a stronger pump if needs be :)

Went to World Of Water in Manchester yesterday, well worth the couple of hour drive, top notch bloke running the place, seemed to know his stuff and was very friendly. got discount on fish without much bartering. The fish there were really good too, alot of agressive fish mixed with a few bread and butter fish, if you like flowerhorns you'll like this place as it seemd to be the main type of fish they sold, prices ranged from about 15£ upto a good 3/400.

Got a few more fish yesterday :)

Cichla Temensis , about 10inch. No idea what sex it is. One impressive fish, it really strikes the food hard which is quite noisey but looks good, its been eating hikari cichlid pellets.

Datnoides Campbelli 5-6inch at a guess , really active but seems scared of everything atm especially me!

Polypterus Endlicherri

parachromis friedrichsthalii - about 4 inch seems to be relativly friendly so far, this will go into the new tank but if it gives to much agro to the other fish it will stay in the 4x2x2 with the midas which are being grown out in another tank. Definatly not scared of me or the other fish, quickly put mr grumpy Oscar in it's place when the oscar went for it.

Not a new fish but managed to get a decent picture of my grumpy oscar:)

Also managed to get a good snap of the retic ray, it always stays with the motoro ray, would of got a new picture of that but it was buried in the sand.

Also got the sump made now too :) just waiting on the glass still, i'm going to phone up tomorrow to chase that , then i'll have to pipe the tank to the sump and i'm all goo:)

I also got 3 spotted gar's yesterday, one didnt make it until today but the other two are still with me :) theyre tiny and pretty fragile which sucks but once they get feeding should be ok.

I have 5 Midas cichlids to go in the 4x2x2 once i get the new tank sorted, theyre really small to and are in with the gar's and snakeheads atm.

The tem is gorgeous, really nice spangling.
I was thinking about going to WoW manchester this weekend, whats the stock like? got any nice poly's?

The tem is gorgeous, really nice spangling.
I was thinking about going to WoW manchester this weekend, whats the stock like? got any nice poly's?

Unfortuantly not much for Poly's i got the endlicheri out of his display tank , he has a beast of an endlicherri in there but wouldnt sell me that one :( would of paid good money for it too!
He's was willing to sell the Lap in his display tank which around 10inch at a push but it was just your standard one.
He had endlicherri's and senegals that were for sale but they were a couple of inch so would only got eaten regardless of what tank i put them in.

As for the rest of stock he had some nice motoro rays, some more temensis , some tiny ones which would have been a bit cheaper, he had Cichla ocellaris in but they were tiny, he did have some massive ones in the display tank but didnt even bother to ask about them as theyd have been out of my price range by a fair bit.
He had some decent cichlids in , some what looked to be goliath african tiger fish in, some snakeheads. He some Golden Dorado which were nice but get huge huge lol
I'd drop him an email if you're after out he said he can import alot of stuff too
[email protected] is the email addy.

IMO better than BAS and Pier for aggresive/oddball fish

i'll probably end up going then, how big are the goliaths? I got a 6" one from BAS when they first got them in but the bloody gar who'd been on a hunger strike for months decided to eat him. How big is the endli, i've been looking for a few more lately, might get a congicus from wildwoods.

i'll probably end up going then, how big are the goliaths? I got a 6" one from BAS when they first got them in but the bloody gar who'd been on a hunger strike for months decided to eat him. How big is the endli, i've been looking for a few more lately, might get a congicus from wildwoods.
goliaths are about 5 inch ish i'd say, they had loads in there, cannot remember how much they were. The Endlicherri i got is around 10 inch the one in the display tank looked a little bigger but was massive in the build of it! really wide and podgy:)
I want a Congicus , tropical imports have one, i got 2 laps of him and they came in good condition so will probs get that from him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back