New Nano Setup

Having 1 wont light up the whole of the tank. However having 2 placed along the back should suffice.

Ok bit of an update, tank has been doing well and all the plants are growing.Over the last 2 days or so theres been a lot of pearling mostly from the riccia and some from the java fern.My co2 seeps out through a small airstone and into the intake of the filter where the bubbles swirl round so lots o water comes in contact.Its seems to work well.I rehomed the endlers apart from 1 trio.I did have one problem where I added a few shrimps and an anubias just floated it with ideas to tie it down after I came in from having dinner.When I got home all my shrimps looked bad(kinda curled up)and one of the new ones(red nose shrimp)was dead.I tested the water and it was fine so I did a 10% change and it seemed to help.Next day my 2 bumblebees were dead :( and the others still didnt look great.I did another change and removed the anubias (20%) and this seemed to sort it.No more deaths and they are now back to normal.Its either the plant or the water from the shop.

Heres some pics, I tried to show the riccia pearling but you cant really tell in the pics.

DSC02148.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02150.jpg

DSC02151.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

DSC02153.jpg

DSC02154.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

Whoohoo got a decent pic of the pearling!! Oh and I have more riccia and hairgrass on its way :)

DSC02163.jpg

Nice pics :good:
I saw in another thread that you lost shrimp after adding a plant. This may be because that there was some copper on the plant that was still there when the plant holder added copper to get rid of snails.
Here's a very good article on it

Looking good :) what are your thoughts on the tank being next to the window? Wouldn't be my first choice for a location?

Sam

yeah i reckon the shrimp deaths will be from a copper treatment. they're commonly used on plants to get rid of snails. thoroughly rinse any new plants before putting them into the aquarium

Hi yeh im thinking it was copper too, im scared to put it back in though how would I rinse it...just under the tap?

As for it being on a window I dont see it really being a problem for now, the plants get sunlight which is good.Do you think it will get too warm in summer?

The concern is that the sunlight will be too much, so you'll get algae on the glass. Still, I really like your tank, you're riccia looks brilliant.

The concern is that the sunlight will be too much, so you'll get algae on the glass. Still, I really like your tank, you're riccia looks brilliant.

Ahh right, I havent seen any yet and im actually hoping to get some green algae for the ottos to eat.

Yup the MTS can bury themselves in the substrate easily.

Heres a few new pics, I have swapped the desk lamp for a regular aquarium lamp with a reflector(the tubes too small at the mo)can someone suggest a tube type that will be best for my plants?I will be able to use a 24" tube.I have also added some new NZ moss(unfortunatley there must have been chemicals on them as my cherry shrimp carked it)and some more riccia I got off smithrc.The plants seem to be growing quite well and I have more dwarf hairgrass on the way.

The Shrimp Chateaux (also could someone suggest a better name?).

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02176.jpg

Some of the inhabitants

DSC02177.jpg

looks good. where did you get your shrimp? in falkirk?

on the plant/shrimp deah thing, it's most probably the copper on some of the plants that you added. I would always wash and rinse new plants before planting them.

:good: greg

looks good. where did you get your shrimp? in falkirk?

on the plant/shrimp deah thing, it's most probably the copper on some of the plants that you added. I would always wash and rinse new plants before planting them.

:good: greg

Thanks man no I got them from Aqurium Design in Paisley Rd West in Glasgow(the now deceased cherry's I got from ebay).

Yeh I think it must have been copper, I did rinse them under the tap first but it couldnt have been enough, im getting some hairgrass off ebay and im gonna make sure to get rid of any cheicals first.

Whats the shop(s) like in Falkirk, do they carry different types of shrimp?

ok sorry :blush: I thought you were from falkirk, somone on here is! ha.

What's the best shop in Glasgow? They all seem to be on Paisley rd west!

Most reactions

Back