New Nano Setup

Aquascaper

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Ok, i'm trying to tempt the fiancee into setting up the Nano tank that I have sitting empty but I can't think of what fish could be put in it so I need some help :hey:

The tank stats are:

Manafacturer: AquaOne
Model: 418
Measurements: 15" x 10" x 17" (l x w x h)
Volume: 10g or 40 litres (approx.)
Lights: Twin 18w T5 Power Compact Over Tank Luminare

I would be using plenty of live rock and 4 x Rena Flow 300 powerheads for filtration with the possible addition of an small external filled with more live rock.
Lighting is low for such a tall tank so there would be nothing major on the coral front.
It has an open top so no jumping fish can be kept.
My fiancee has an aversion to creepy crawlies so the CC would consist of dwarf blue legs and small snails.

What do you guys think? To give you an idea of what i'm up against I showed the fiancee www.liveaquaria.com and asked her to point out waht she liked. The suggestions were:

Rays, Morays, Puffers, Triggers, Groupers but no Lionfish :X

Help!

Pair of neon gobies?

Species tank, lobster? red or purple? (nocturnal tho')

Single redtail cardinal?

SH

Maybe a 6 line wrasse? They have personality, but not sure if its too big for a nano :blink:

Nooooooo....not in a 10 gallon. Those fish need space. Why stress it out and get ich? Sixline needs a minimum of 30Gs. SH

Having looked around a few other forums i've got a little DIY project in mind for this tank :hey:

I may reduce the height of the tank by 2" - 3" by making a false floor using an acrylic sheet with a few vent holes. The acrylic sheet would be raised up on stilts made of PVC pipe. The idea being that I can place my 4 mini powerheads under the acrylic with tubing to direct the flow above the substrate.
This will give the tank a 'clean' equipment free look (I hate the way equipment stands out in Nano's) and should be relatively easy to remove if anything should go wrong and maintenance be required on the powerheads.
It will also decrease the depth of the tank making the lighting more efficient.
The powerheads give off enough heat to stabilise the temp (i've run these in this tank before) so there's no need for a heater either.
The area below the acrylic could be filled with live rock rubble to create a mini refugium where pods could grow and they can find their way out into the tank through the vents.
Tank.jpg

The two larger holes at the back would have vertical tubes with a grille over the top to allow water into the bottom chamber (may possibly change this the two in the centre at the back so they can be hidden with live rock)
The four holes at the front would be where the tubes from the powerheads would come from. These would be pointed at random locations towards the live rock

Most reactions

Back