New Membre - Rtb Shark & 3 Catfish Dead :(

fishla

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to these forums and it's fantastic!! Great lot of information and I look forward to helping out and contributing where I can.

Background info... I started an Aqua One 850 tropical tank in Jan and it consists of 2 x Angels, 1 x Yellow Gourami, 2 x Silver Dollars, 1 x Red Tailed black shark (RIP) and 3x Catfish (RIP).

The tank was cycled with neon tetras and was fine for months. I never had a problem and my ammonia and PH levels have always been good and I'm very strict with my water changes. I feed them Aqua One flakes in the morning and blood worms in the evening.

About 2 weeks ago I ran out of flakes, so i was recommended to change to Tetra Colour granules. This is where I think the trouble started.
The fish didn't take to it very well and it began building up on the floor of the tank. 2 weeks later (2 days ago) I found that my shark (fully grown) was looking very fat and had some puffy white spots on his fins... he didn't survive the night :(

When I was changing the water i found a dead cat fish....not sure if it's related, but the shark loved chasing the cat fish and may have nipped him.
I did a 1/3 water change and got some Aqua Master Multi cure Link here and used suggested dose as per instructions. It has turned the tank green!! I know there is a dye in it so you can tell when it clears.
How long should i leave it in there before doing another water change? It's been one day and the other fish are fine, except the Angels had some fogginess around the eyes, that's why I treated the tank with the medication. I'm also keeping them on minimal light hours and I removed my carbon filters (black sponges still in) and will get new ones once I do the next water change.

If anyone can advise me if I'm doing the right thing, that would be great.
Like i said, i've never had any problem, until i changed food....or was it a coincidence??

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

• fish2_Feb08.JPG
    fish2_Feb08.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 47
How many gallon litres is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Cloudy eye is a symtom of a desease not a desease it its own right.
Causes.
Bad water quality.
Old age.
Stress.
Poor diet.
Irrataton.
Parasites.
Bacterial

The white spots on the fish how big are they, the size of a grain of salt or bigger.
If bigger any redness to the spots.
Dd the spots on the fins resemble a cauliflower of a cluster of berries.

Hi Wilder,

Thanks for the reply.

165L Tank
4 fish at present - 2x Angels, 2 x Silver Dollars, 1 x Yellow Gourami

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-12, ph 7

Just changed 1/3 water and new carbon.
Hopefully they go well.

I'm not sure how old the Angel's are, because I bought them full grown.
They are also swimming slanted occasionally.

The white spots on the shark were bigger than a grain of salt.
He was the only one who had them. They looked more like cauliflower.

Cheers,
Andy

How many gallon litres is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Cloudy eye is a symtom of a desease not a desease it its own right.
Causes.
Bad water quality.
Old age.
Stress.
Poor diet.
Irrataton.
Parasites.
Bacterial

The white spots on the fish how big are they, the size of a grain of salt or bigger.
If bigger any redness to the spots.
Dd the spots on the fins resemble a cauliflower of a cluster of berries.

R.I.P.
Did you read the link that I left.

R.I.P.
Did you read the link that I left.

Thanks and yes I did.

I'm going to try Melafix on the Angels in a seperate tank.
How long do you recommend leaving them in the solution for?

Cheers,
Andy

I'm not too hot on the disease identification to be honest (I'll leave that to the experts) but a few things I did pick up on that might be useful ...

What temperature do you keep the tank at? Angels like higher temps so if it's too cool that may explain them hanging round near the heater and may also have weakened them to some sort of illness

Check on the back of the pack but as a general rule always remove the carbon from the filter when treating a tank with medications. A water change is normally recommended 5 days after adding the treatment.

It sounds like you fish may just not have taken to the new food. If they were leaving it to sit on the bottom of the tank this will affect the water quality which can then trigger or cause numerous diseases. If your fish don;t eat thei food within a reasonable amount of time (i normally give it half an hour [just to make sure the bottom feeders get to it]) I would be inclined to gravel vac it out. It just keeps your water quality a bit more stable.

Finally, bloodworms every night is probably a bit excessive. I think people normally say to give meaty food like that twice a week at the most (unless you have carniverous fish who only eat meaty foods obviously). I also wouldn;t feed the fish so often generally. They only really need one feed a day or even every other day. Obviously what and how often people feed their fish varies but I've found that 5 out of 7 days with meaty food no more than twice a week and a good amount of vegetation (lettuce, cucumber, peas etc) works.

I hope this post doesn;t sound like I'm trying to be critical - I'm really not. Just a few suggestions to make sure the fish are getting tip-top care and minimise chances of something like this happening again!

Thanks CPQ,

Today i noticed that the big Angel's eyes have cleared up A LOT :)
So I'm pleased with that, but the smaller one still has some big eyes. I will treat him in a few days if it doesn't go down.

The Angel's also have their appitite back and have stopped hanging around the heater! YAY!!

The temp of my tank is 28 degrees always. I use a Fluval heater.

Thanks for the feeding tips. I will look in to feeding them some lettuce and stuff!

Cheers,
Andy

If the eyes were bulging out thats popeye.

Most reactions

Back