New Here

FishyFather

Reaction score
Hello all fishy friends!

I'm very excited to be here! I have half-stocked freshwater tank with some corys and some guppies, and a plant (don't remember the name off the top of my head). Looking at getting a gourami to top it off, but taking things slow! My family had fish tanks when I was younger so I'm excited to get into the hobby for myself. Look forward to hearing all your words of wisdom!

You mention getting a Gourami and they are great . With the size aquarium you have think of Pearl Gourami’s . They shouldn’t bother your Guppies and aren’t belligerent like Blue Gourami’s . Gourami’s need others of their kind to be at ease but some people keep single specimens . Many people here report bad luck with Dwarf Gourami’s so they might not be a good choice but they are pretty . You will occasionally see the Paradise Fish sold as a “Brown Gourami” or some such similar name . Don’t get one if you like your guppies . Paradise Fish are hunters and will slowly pick them off . A twenty nine gallon should be perfect for three Pearls along with your other fish .

You mention getting a Gourami and they are great . With the size aquarium you have think of Pearl Gourami’s . They shouldn’t bother your Guppies and aren’t belligerent like Blue Gourami’s . Gourami’s need others of their kind to be at ease but some people keep single specimens . Many people here report bad luck with Dwarf Gourami’s so they might not be a good choice but they are pretty . You will occasionally see the Paradise Fish sold as a “Brown Gourami” or some such similar name . Don’t get one if you like your guppies . Paradise Fish are hunters and will slowly pick them off . A twenty nine gallon should be perfect for three Pearls along with your other fish .
Yep, three pearls would be about right. Make sure it's a male and two females so you have some peace during spawning time.

Do you know how hard your water is?

Thanks for the advice on the Paradise Fish! I don't want to get anything that would be too aggressive with my guppies, especially given that I've already had some issues with them (I already made a different post). I haven't been considering Pearls but I'll have to check them out! I was originally thinking of dwarf gouramis since I do really love the color, is it just bad luck people have with them or are they just more aggressive/weaker or something?

Great tips! I don't know about water hardness, I live close to Seattle and we generally have really soft water. I'll do some research on it!
You should be able to find out online, or if you have a water hardness test kit. The only thing about your fish choices is that cories and gourami need soft water and guppies hard. Not sure if this might be why you're losing your guppies as per your other thread but something to bear in mind.

I was originally thinking of dwarf gouramis since I do really love the color, is it just bad luck people have with them or are they just more aggressive/weaker or something?
Most dwarf gouramis bred in far east fish farms are infected with the incurable dwarf gourami iridovirus. They seem OK for a few weeks or even months then show symptoms of the disease and die.

Most dwarf gouramis bred in far east fish farms are infected with the incurable dwarf gourami iridovirus. They seem OK for a few weeks or even months then show symptoms of the disease and die.
Darn, that's unfortunate! I'll look into other gouramis more then, thank you :)

You should be able to find out online, or if you have a water hardness test kit. The only thing about your fish choices is that cories and gourami need soft water and guppies hard. Not sure if this might be why you're losing your guppies as per your other thread but something to bear in mind.
That's really good to know! Apparently Seattle has very soft water like I thought, around 22 ppm. I'll have to think about what to do for my cories!

Well, welcome to TFF... :hi:
As you've already noticed, enough members around who are willing to help you out with all of your questions...

Most reactions

Back