New Fluval Edge Tank

LiamGoodaire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey guys, i have kept tropical a fish before so i know the basics, i previously owned a 60l tank and with a variety of fish however due to some changes in my life i no longer own this tank. I have recently purchased a "fluval edge tank" which is stated to be 23 litres so obviously less fish of a smaller size will be able to be kept healthly in such an environment, so i was just wondering if there was any advice from anyone on here with more knowledge than myself what breeds of fish would be suitable and what quantity? Also the tank is obviously curretly in a fishless cycle, any idea how long this should take? it took maybe 2-3 weeks with my old tank is their any difference due to the size? Oh and for the information my temperature is currently set to 26c is this msuitable to the maturing of the tank during the cycle? cheers in advance!

Hi welcome to the forum! When you say fishless cycle are you using pure ammonia or one of the off the shelf products?

In a fluval edge there are a suprising amount of fish that you can house in there and most of them are really colourful. The ones I can think of to go in there are stuff like -

Sparkling Gourami
Badis - and all the varieties
Endlers Livebearers
Galaxy Rasbora
Danioin Draculonela (spelling)
Danio Esthrymicin (spelling)
Green Neon Tetras
Ember Tetras
Dwarf Anchor Catfish
Rosy Loaches
Dwarf Striped Loaches
Ottos
Bumble Bee Gobies - though be careful to get the true freshwater one
Dwarf Puffers - though can be tricky and could only house a lone one
Bettas - 1 male and some shrimp
Cherry Shrimp
Crystal Red Shrimp
Bee Shrimp

So yeah quite a few options - micro fish are one of my favorite groups of fish :) Obviously you wont be able to have all of them but an edge is manageable with 2/3 of those species in small numbers for example I would perhaps do

2 Sparkling Gourami
5 Galaxy Rasbora
4 Crystal Red Shrimp

Plant it out nice with small plants and maybe some moss balls and I reckon thats a nice little tank :)

Wills

Yes Im using one of the shelf products included with the setup, not the best option I understand, would you advise using pure ammonia? Also thanks for the list of breeds and the suggested option :) was quite surprised at the length of the list :)

Yes Im using one of the shelf products included with the setup, not the best option I understand, would you advise using pure ammonia? Also thanks for the list of breeds and the suggested option :) was quite surprised at the length of the list :)

Definitely use pure ammonia, although "pure" is not really what you mean.

You need to get hold of a 9.5% ammonia solution, commonly know as household ammonia.

My signature has links to such

Pure ammonia would be very nasty stuff indeed, not just to the fish but to you.

Hi yeah unfortunatly the off the shelf products just dont work and all that happens is you have no fish in your tank for three weeks then you add fish and they survive if your lucky but most likely some will die and some will get diseases and parasites - bad water quality is basically like an open wound for fish - exposure to high levels of ammonia and/or nitrite can also cause nerve and brain damage - so it really is not a good way to do things.

The reason these products dont work is because the bacteria that they are supposed to hold needs a constant source of ammonia and oxygen and in a closed bottle it can get neither - sometimes people refrigerate the bottles etc which is a good idea but again not always 100% reliable.

The method suggested on here and most other fish forums is the fishless cycle where you add a small amount of pure ammonia and then measure how that level drops through the course of a day as the bacteria in the filter eats it. The reason this ammonia route works is because in a filter that is turning water though and in turn letting any bacteria in there get oxygen its only a matter of time before the bacteria you need to eat ammonia starts to thrive. Ammonia is a chemical that is formed from rotting organic waste which in a fish tank means fish poo basically but you have a few other things that can create it like rotting plants if they die etc. But yeah where ever you have a rotting organic material in water you get whats called the nitrogen cycle which is:

- rotting organic material -> Ammonia -> Nitrite > Nitrate

so all we are doing here is adding pure ammonia and cutting out the need for fish and their poo.

For full guides on how to do a fishless cycle have a look in the beginners resource section.

The bad part of the fishless cycle is it takes about 5-6 weeks to do.... But you can be really confident of success (and by that I mean long term success) of the tank. Also in a tank like that you cant afford the liberties that some larger tanks can with cycling like in a lets say 125 liter tank you could add a school of zebra danios and do a controlled fish in cycle which involves a lot of water changes but you do get fish in the tank early on but then you are stuck with those fish but in a big tank you have chance to have other fish in there but in a Fluval Edge really you want to stick to the kind of fish that you really want, I mean for the sake of a few weeks filling a £100 small tank with fish that your not entirely happy with just seems like a bit of a waste really. Where as with the fish less cycle at the end of it you can add all sorts to the tank and chose some real little gems.

Oh for fish profiles I would recommend seriouslyfish.com lots of good profiles on some of the harder to get fish on the list above but when I say harder to get you would be suprised how easy it is often to get some of these fish. Where abouts are you from?

Hope thats helped :)

Wills

I just bought 5 celestial pearl danios (a 6th died) and they are gorgeous fun little fish. Get to about an inch I hear but mine are 1/2 inch at the moment. They are expensive too so a death really hurts. I also bought 6 pygmy corydoras... darling. Both these would work in your tank. 6 of celestials and 10 of the pygmy I think would work. You could also do some cherry shrimp. Another small fish, but have never had them, are sparkling gourami.

Cycling is tricky and often takes 4-5 weeks. Would help if someone you knew with a tank could give you some used filter sponge to stick into your filter to colonize it. Then a week or two usually works.

Thank-you both, that's really useful! I'm available in wakefield and huddersfield in west yorkshire :) thanks for the links ill check them out :)

I just bought 5 celestial pearl danios (a 6th died) and they are gorgeous fun little fish. Get to about an inch I hear but mine are 1/2 inch at the moment. They are expensive too so a death really hurts. I also bought 6 pygmy corydoras... darling. Both these would work in your tank. 6 of celestials and 10 of the pygmy I think would work. You could also do some cherry shrimp. Another small fish, but have never had them, are sparkling gourami.

Cycling is tricky and often takes 4-5 weeks. Would help if someone you knew with a tank could give you some used filter sponge to stick into your filter to colonize it. Then a week or two usually works.

Cheers much appreciated, I know of nobody to receive a filter sponge unfortunately, Is there no alternative which could speed up the process?

If your near Wakefield you should check out Ferrybridge Aquatics easily one of the best in the area for quite some distance and he always has most of the fish I listed above as well.

Unfortunately there is no quick way of doing a cycle unless you can get some media from someone close to you like around 20-40 mins away.

Wills

If your near Wakefield you should check out Ferrybridge Aquatics easily one of the best in the area for quite some distance and he always has most of the fish I listed above as well.

Unfortunately there is no quick way of doing a cycle unless you can get some media from someone close to you like around 20-40 mins away.

Wills

Yes I must say the website is very appealing, and getting there is no problem, however how would you advise to transport the fish on such a long journey, is it possible?

Wills

Yes I must say the website is very appealing, and getting there is no problem, however how would you advise to transport the fish on such a long journey, is it possible?

Yes, just tell them before hand about the distance you need to go & they should pack the fish acordingly for you.

Yeah I get fish from all over my latest trip took me to Wigan and the fish came back fine :) A surprising amount of fish are wild caught and most of the rest are raised on farms in the far east so often have already traveled from fish farms all over the world to here.

When traveling long distances its often best to put the back of fish into a small polystyrene box (fish shops usually sell or give these away) that helps to keep them warm which is the main issue with transporting fish.

Wills

what do you think, if i stocked the tank with maybe:
5 black neon tetras
3 galaxy rasbora
4 crystal red shrimp
is that a good healthy mix or overstocked? is there room for more, i just want a nicely stocked tank with some good looking fish :D

IMO, I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a shoal of black neon tetras in such a small tank. You really need 6+ fish to keep them comfortable and they get around 1.5 inches and a 6 gallon tank is way too small. As for the celestial pearl danios (galaxy rasboras), the biggest group you can get the better. They tend to be really timid and a big group will make them more confident. I'd say 6 is a good number, and make sure to get them in a 1:2 male:female ratio. The females won't get stressed out and the males will display at each other, and that's how you know you have happy fish.

If you want a schooling group of tetras, I would look into smaller ones like ember tetras (one of my favorites). They might be a little hard to find, though.

okay, is it definitely a no go? id arranged a purchase that is all, however i dont want to be wasting money, what other fish would you advise with the shimp and galaxies?

Most reactions

Back