New Diy Fish Tank Table...

Rust

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
HI,
OK so today it was my 16th bday and i decided it would nice to make myself a fish tank table to go in my bed room, and with parents away no one could say no ;) (also i could have no help, which is what i like cos i do stuff my own way:naughty: ) So it is made of 1/2inch pine with a 3x1x1 tank in the centre, it took me about 7hours and cost me £60 ($120 US), so hope you guys like,
Current tenants:
1 4" green severum,
2 2-3" jade eye cichlids
and a bunch of rocks lol.

First two are of construction:
DSC00360.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

Next two are a test fit/ test look,
DSC00362.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

Last two are of how it is set up.
DSC00365.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

Enjoy ;)

I have to say, i'm with sam on this one. I also thought it was upside down.

One or two quick questions for you, does the top part of the table with the light fitting come off or is it fixed in position on the legs? The other question is did you put a varnish or other waterproof substance on the under side of the wooden top.

Looks good, nice bit of DIY

edit: I was just looking at the pics again. The floor is no place for a fish tank. Not because of fish health or anything like that, but because you want to get the maximum amount of viewing pleasure out of the tank You will never be able to get this while it is sitting on the floor. You seem to have the skills and the tools required to construct something to raise the tank. You could fit a nice three-foot stand in the same place that the tank is now situated and then place your new tank and "housing" unit on top of it. This will also provide you with shelving and storage under the tank resulting in a better use of space. Also it will make maintenance on the tank a great deal easier, I don’t know how you should start a gravity siphon in its existing position. This is just helpful advice, please note that I think your original stand is very good but your next one is going to be better

I have to say, i'm with sam on this one. I also thought it was upside down.

One or two quick questions for you, does the top part of the table with the light fitting come off or is it fixed in position on the legs? The other question is did you put a varnish or other waterproof substance on the under side of the wooden top.

Looks good, nice bit of DIY

edit: I was just looking at the pics again. The floor is no place for a fish tank. Not because of fish health or anything like that, but because you want to get the maximum amount of viewing pleasure out of the tank You will never be able to get this while it is sitting on the floor. You seem to have the skills and the tools required to construct something to raise the tank. You could fit a nice three-foot stand in the same place that the tank is now situated and then place your new tank and "housing" unit on top of it. This will also provide you with shelving and storage under the tank resulting in a better use of space. Also it will make maintenance on the tank a great deal easier, I don’t know how you should start a gravity siphon in its existing position. This is just helpful advice, please note that I think your original stand is very good but your next one is going to be better

It might not be a viewing tank but maybee a quarentine tank you don't know. I think the table is upside down because you cant have the weight of the tank on 4 legs. :)

It might not be a viewing tank but maybee a quarentine tank you don't know. I think the table is upside down because you cant have the weight of the tank on 4 legs. :)

I'm going to predict that it is a viewing tank because of the following:

3x1x1 tank in the centre

That in my opinion is a fairly substantial “quarantine tank”, and I don’t know too many 16 year olds that are going to be using it as such.

Also

it took me about 7hours and cost me £60 ($120 US)

That is quite a fair amount of money and time spent on making a stand for a quarantine tank that could just as easily sit on the floor.

Maybe I will be wrong and there will be egg on my face. But even if I am wrong he could still benefit from carrying out the suggestions that I have made.

It's a DESK.. of cource the fish tank is going to be low to the ground on the bottom.

Looks awesome! Do you plan to stain it?

as there was a chest/trunk thingy there and i wanted another fish tank (to add to the 6 i have) and it was not strong enough to suport the weight, so i can still store my crap on it and have a fish tank, and since it is at the end of the room i can look down on it perfectly, so i can see my fish, it is going to be a breeding tank for me, as i need feeders to feed my arowana and big cichlids, and those "legs" are just as decoration although i plan to move them (when i can be bothered) and i have not stained it yet, as i have not yet do it.
i still yet to instal lights, as that is only a 10g lid for now. thanks for the interest and comments.

I like different ideas for aquarium setups such as this. It's a good use of space, and looks nicer than many of the cheesy table tanks you see manufactured. The only minor problem I can see, as I have encountered this with lower tanks, is siphoning the bottom. Hook a small powerhead to the siphon, problem solved.

well you see i have yet to encounter this, as it was only put in last night, but thanks for the tips.

I like it, just put your thumb on the end of the tube and fill the tube up with water and the cylinder siphon thing with water and get it in the water without losing much water, let your thumb go and the suction is started. I honestly don't think there is anything wrong where it is because you don't know how many tanks rust has and the viewing spot of it and maybe rust wants to be creative, I know I would do similiar things to that if my parents let me.

Austin

Thanks for the comments guys, it now houses a breeding pair of blue acaras and a baby 3" spotted gar (soon to be a monster lol)

Most reactions

Back