New Discus

zakkp8

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got one discus, I'll be adding more to the tank I was talking about before. Is he going to be fine alone, with my community for a week? I'm adding 4 more over the next few weeks. He is white with blackish fins, and an orange spot on the cinter of his body what kind is he? Heb was only $26.64 with tax! Next I'll get the $44 blue dimond or Ocean Green or the $33 striped one. They are all 2 inches - 4, they had 10" ones but they were $119 each, same types though.

For one week the discus should be fine, but I wouldn't wait to long. I left a turquise by himself for a while once and he became more aggressive. I left him alone with a group of Uaru A. Soon he began to act just like them. Now that I've added some more discus he is starting to act like a discus again. What was your stock list though? Was it the one with the angel fish and the gouramis?

For one week the discus should be fine, but I wouldn't wait to long. I left a turquise by himself for a while once and he became more aggressive. I left him alone with a group of Uaru A. Soon he began to act just like them. Now that I've added some more discus he is starting to act like a discus again. What was your stock list though? Was it the one with the angel fish and the gouramis?
Yes, I'm moving some of the smaller fish to my ten gallon. The discus are still small, by the time they get big the gouramies will probibally be dead, and I hate to say that. The male flame, I think is getting dropsey, so he will probibally die soon. He also has a tumer near his eye sadly.

Goraumies should not be kept with discus, they aggrivate them! And they are agressive and nippers! Also, your tank should be atleast 28-30 digree celcius with discus. Also they need a good diet and very clean waterhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiCciqVR89Qcheck out my discus

I hope you have really thought about this and know what you are getting into. You can't really really have a 'community' tank with discus, you have a tank tailored to the needs of the discus and any tank mates that can fit in with this if you have the room.

Juvenile discus should not be kept on their own or in small groups for very long. I would add the other 4 in one go if possible. You'll need to be doing daily water changes, and feeding 4-5 times a day and ideally you'd keep them in a bare bottom tank. 5 adult discus are good for a 55, but if raising juveniles you would want to have more than this as they feel more secure. You'll also want to match the water chemistry of your supplier (may be too late for this...) then adjust if needed. You will find a few people saying discus can be kept in hard water, but you'll find many more saying soft water is a requirement, and from my experience this is true. Be prepared to buy an RO unit if needed.

Don't want this to sound harsh, but discus are very easy to stunt and if that happens they won't live out their 10 year life span. IMO you may be making a mistake buying fish so small when you consider your experience level.

I hope you have really thought about this and know what you are getting into. You can't really really have a 'community' tank with discus, you have a tank tailored to the needs of the discus and any tank mates that can fit in with this if you have the room.

Juvenile discus should not be kept on their own or in small groups for very long. I would add the other 4 in one go if possible. You'll need to be doing daily water changes, and feeding 4-5 times a day and ideally you'd keep them in a bare bottom tank. 5 adult discus are good for a 55, but if raising juveniles you would want to have more than this as they feel more secure. You'll also want to match the water chemistry of your supplier (may be too late for this...) then adjust if needed. You will find a few people saying discus can be kept in hard water, but you'll find many more saying soft water is a requirement, and from my experience this is true. Be prepared to buy an RO unit if needed.

Don't want this to sound harsh, but discus are very easy to stunt and if that happens they won't live out their 10 year life span. IMO you may be making a mistake buying fish so small when you consider your experience level.
You don't know my experance leval so don't ack like you do, I have been keeping fish for 8 year and many types, I feed my fish many times a day and I do 2 gallon water changes a day with my ROI unit. Do talk down to me because I'm "just some kid with fish". Don't reply telling me I'm not doing what I am doing, if you don't know I'v kept fish that are even more needy then discus! I know what I'm doing.

Go onto this site, better for discus only hobbyist. www.discusforums.com, or if you are in the uk try www.discusfishuk.com

Good luck and I hope things go well for you

Go onto this site, better for discus only hobbyist. www.discusforums.com, or if you are in the uk try www.discusfishuk.comGood luck and I hope things go well for you
Thanks I'll check it out.

You don't know my experance leval so don't ack like you do, I have been keeping fish for 8 year and many types, I feed my fish many times a day and I do 2 gallon water changes a day with my ROI unit. Do talk down to me because I'm "just some kid with fish". Don't reply telling me I'm not doing what I am doing, if you don't know I'v kept fish that are even more needy then discus! I know what I'm doing.

Calm down....

Keeping fish for 8 years doesn't make you an expert on fish, or discus.

I never said your just a kid with fish, I don't bother looking at peoples profiles to check their age.

I never said you had not done any of the things I talked about. I am just trying to offer good advice, a lot of people buy Discus as they look nice with no real information on how to keep them. Even people with some knowledge will buy juveniles and end up stunting or killing them, its such a waste.

I mentioned your experience level with regard to Discus. IMO anyone experienced and knowledgeable about Discus would not have purchased a 2" fish on its own to be kept alone, even though it may only be a short time, then posted a question such as this, but hey we all need to learn.

Good luck your with discus, you will probably find you need to do larger daily water changes though.

Most reactions

Back