New Betta has Ick

nashnutny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:unsure: One of the new bettas has been acting weird today. I just noticed one or two white spots on his fins. What's the standard treatment for Ick with Bettas?
I think the other new fish probably has the same problem as he's not acting right either.

You can buy liquid 'Ick away' at pet stores, or the fizzing 'fish buddies' tablets. Both worked wonders on my boyfriend's red tailed shark and my little brother's fantail GoldFish.

I've heard that aquarium salt works as well.

:sad: How much salt? I think I need to treat both even though one does not show any sign of it. They're in a 2 1/2 gallon mini bow. Is Aquarium salt the correct salt?

I think they might have used infected water from another tank when they changed his bowl.

Thanks...

-_- I think the fish store used infected water when they changed
the water in the bowl.

The box says 1 rounded teaspoon per 5 gallons so I need to cut that in half. Can I still use a regular medicine for Ich with the salt?

I would assume that I need to remove half the water and then add new water with the salt added? I've never done this before and don't want to lose this fish.

I have a small filter running. Should that be stopped?

Thanks

nashnutny said:
The box says 1 rounded teaspoon per 5 gallons so I need to cut that in half. Can I still use a regular medicine for Ich with the salt?
Use half of that, just scoop some salt then flatten it on the spoon and do that for 3 days then let it sit for 3 days, then since its a small enough do a full clean on it after the 3 days of sitting, just try adn keep teh temperature constant during the treatment, leave the the filter on i guess

you shouldnt need meds if you follow that, ive used that treatment twice with success and no fish loss

so re-cap

Day 1-3 add the salt
Day 4-7 let it sit
Day 7 clean the tank, unless you can still see the ick on him then let it sit for a few more days but after the 10th day clean the tank cause the salt can cause its own problems if you let it sit too long

This is just my opinion, but I don't think anything works as well as quickcure. 2 treatments, and the ick will be gone. Quickcure also is very good at getting rid of external parasites. Walmart has the little dropper bottles, real cheap.

:crazy: I blame the pet store for the ich infestation. They had just gotten a new shipment of fish in and they used the water from those tanks for the betta bowls rather than from something established.

I'm headed to the store shortly with a list of stuff. Separate nets, small heaters, etc. I'll look over every ich medicine that they have on hand.

:unsure: Just came back from the pet store. All the bettas disappeared!! Guess they all came down with the ich. The clerk's reaction made me think that when I told her about the two I had bought. Sigh....

-_- Ich update. One betta has responded quite well to the aqua-sol/salt treatment but the other betta in the tank with him seems to be still badly infected. The temperature is 86 in the tank. Both fish are eating fairly well though. I've been feeding them live black worms.

Am I correct in assuming that these are so small that we can't see them until they attach themselves to the fish and start developing the white crust?

Thanks

Most reactions

Back