New 30 Gallon

Joeyg2100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I am new to SW fish keeping. I have kept FW for over 2 years now, and have decided to start a SW tank. I have read through most of the information her in the newbie forum. I have an idea of what I want to get so I will just put what I want and what I have so far

I want to get pair of Ocellaris clownfish with an anemone. I have read that some of the tank bred clowns will not take to anemone's, so would it be worth it to have one. I was also thinking about getting a gobie or a firefish.

I know that I am going to need a small clean up crew and have found what I need from here.

This is what I have for my setup of the tank
30 gallon tank 30x12x18
I am going to get 30# of sand
50# live rock

As for my filter, I have a HOB filter that is designed for tanks up tp 75 gallons. Will this work or will I need to get a canister filter?

200 watt heater

I am going to need to get a skimmer, so what are some recommendations for my size of tank?

I have two powerheads

Any other imput will be great. If you have any suggestions on books that would be helpfull too. Thanks for the help

For a skimmer, I have a coralife 65 skimmer...

50pounds is a lot IMO but I guess it could be done. I wouldn't reccommend the anemone at all since like you mentioned the tank bred clowns might not even show interest in it. So it's better to keep your money in your pocket and stay away from it. Are you planning to keep corals? If so, your going to have to get up some good lighting depending on what corals you would like to keep. :good:

Ya I forgot to put my light on there. I have a 48" flourecent fixture
I have 2-65 watt flourecent bulbs, and 2 65 watt actinic bulbs. I think this should be a good lighting source for corals. Ya I think I might stay away from anemone's they aren't cheap

Books THE CONSCIENTIOUS MARINE AQUARIST by Robert Fenner AQUARIUM CORALS by Eric Borneman MARINE FISHES by Scott Michael :rolleyes:

Not only are nems not cheap, they're also exceptionally difficult to keep alive. Not gonna be kept alive on a PC fixture of the power of yours thats for sure :unsure:. You won't need 30lbs of sand for that footprint, more like 20 will suffice :)

I personally like the look of a Live-Rock packed tank. Those 50 pounds will look really nice in that tank.

I personally like the look of a Live-Rock packed tank. Those 50 pounds will look really nice in that tank.

I agree, i love the look of tanks packed with live rock.

Also gives your inverts pleanty of places to climb and hide. Just make sure you arrange your rock carefully to avoid dead areas, and avoid putting pressure on the glass walls.

Andy

Not to mention that alot of Live rock will also bring alot of tastey food for your happy fish :)

Most reactions

Back