New 29 Gallon Fish Tank Set-up

bradwarden

Reaction score
I recently bought a 29 gallon glass aquarium kit. It came with an undergravel filter and an air pump. After a little bit of reading I decided to use the undergravel filter along with a power filter that is rated for 160 GPH. I used about 45 pounds of gravel and sloped it downwards over my undergravel filter. I then filled up my tank and ran it for a couple days before adding a loach. A few days later I added 3 neon tetras. So in total its been running for about a week. (The fish seem fine).

I have read a few positive and A LOT of negative things about undergravel filters since i first set up my tank. (Remember that I have a power filter as well). I'm wondering if i should just dismantle my tank now and take out the undergravel filter before it is too late or if I should just stick with it. I am willing to vacuum the gravel once a week. Initially, I wanted to use my undergravel filter to compliment the power filter but I don't know anymore.

Thanks in advance. Btw I have a battery powered gravel vacuum and a regular syphon. :/

I do have a small 5 gallon tank that is established if that would be needed.

have you considered switching the UGF to reverse flow? this solves a lot of the problems normal UGF's, if you also have a power filter. also, if you do go with reverse flow make sure there are prefilters on the intakes.

I think the bigger issue here is a non-cycled tank. Are you cycling with the fish? Neons are not hardy at all and should not be used in cycles.

I think you would be better with an internal or external filter. A good brand for external are Eheim. I use an Aquaclear for 200 for my 29 Gallon.

I think the bigger issue here is a non-cycled tank. Are you cycling with the fish? Neons are not hardy at all and should not be used in cycles.

I think you would be better with an internal or external filter. A good brand for external are Eheim. I use an Aquaclear for 200 for my 29 Gallon.

lol, im not going to spend an entire month cyclying the tank without fish. I bought a few inexpensive tetras to do that for me. If they die well its not a big deal. I will probably transfer my fish into a bucket and remove the undergravel filter cause I heard they suck. I guess i could still use the airpump for an airstone or 2. Its fairly quiet.

I'm not saying you should do a fishless cycle, just cycle it with fish atleast. Also, IMO I don't think it's very nice to say you don't care if your fish suffer and die. Anyway, I don't want to start any fights.

I have heard that Reverse-Flow UG filters are no better than other ones...but I am no expert on UG filters and I don't have one myself...

lol, im not going to spend an entire month cyclying the tank without fish
Just wanted to add, fishless cycling is much faster than one month...I did mine in less than 1 WEEK (non-seeded) and plus, you can add all your fish right away...anyway though, choose whatever way YOU want to cycle your tank.

Also, UG don't suck, they are just old, there is new better technology now though...

I dismantled my tank keeping about 50% of the water in it and took out my undergravel filter. I installed a penguin 200 filter which has a biowheel. I put a couple very hardy fish in it and currently my old fish are swimming in a container which i have my old external filter running in and about 13 gallons of water from my tank. It took me about 5 hours but at least now I have peace of mind.

Most reactions

Back