Need Your Expert Opinion On Tank Setup Options.

Didge007

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A few of you might remember me....basically I'm the salty side stalker who actually has tropicals :huh: I am hoping to get my own marine setup one day though.

Basically, I was at the LFS today and was checking out tank setups that they sell (after I tore myself away from the wild caught pair of Occelaris (sp?) they had). I know LFS always hoik up the prices on things but it gave me a rough idea anyways. Just wanting to know what you guys think! I live in Australia, so unsure of what the currency is in other countries.

Option A
Aqua Reef 400
400L
4 x 4ft 54W T5 lights
Protein skimmer
2x300W heaters
Glass sump
$2299

Option B
I didn't get all the details on this one but it's a smaller setup.
175L
Comes with lighting, heater, protein skimmer, external canister filter and I THINK a chiller but don't quote me on that. Approx. $1000 (a little under).

Obviously I would prefer Option A as I know bigger is better and I prefer the idea of a sump. I think if I buy all the bits separately they'd be cheaper, but it's the fiddling around that I'm unsure on.
Finances aren't awesome so Option A would take forever to save up for.

Option A
Aqua Reef 400
400L
4 x 4ft 54W T5 lights
Protein skimmer
2x300W heaters
Glass sump
$2299

Option B
I didn't get all the details on this one but it's a smaller setup.
175L
Comes with lighting, heater, protein skimmer, external canister filter and I THINK a chiller but don't quote me on that. Approx. $1000 (a little under).

British pounds:

£1,512.27 A
£657.794 B

Well, if the parts of package A are all high quality, for example the skimmer is a magnus or a deltec then the price is ok, but do say ok, its not a massive bargain. It would also cost a lot to add the live rock and powerheads.

Option B looks like a better option, but again its not complete.

If it were me, on a limited budget, I would be thinking along the lines of a tank in option B, but putting it all together with bargains that I collected over a few months - it can be fun.

However, I am not sure what the second hand trade is like in Oz, so it is really difficult for us to give you the best advice. And my opinion is given based on UK prices, this may not be accurate for your part of the world

:hi: back :good:

Hello mate

Well bigger is always better, working on the exchange rate that tank seems quite expensive with a quick search I found it here at the equivalent of 1600 AUD with free delivery.
Most people are saying good things about them my thoughts before buying would be-

- Are the bulbs standard size?
- Is there room for an aftermarket skimmer in there if the supplied one fails/proves to be unreliable.
- I think a lot of people would say dump the bio balls and use LR rubble in that bit of the sump instead.
- Limited room in sump to grow Chaeto or similar (I am saying this based on what i can see on internet).
- Single standpipe with durso arrangement so probably no water noise, but twin pipe better. (being ultra picky now)

I would still be inclined to do a bit of research on a custom built tank and picking up second hand equipment to end up with a better set up, my set up to the equivalent of the Aquareef 400 cost the equivalent of about 2000 AUD and that was a custom built 380l with sump and all the plumbing (choice of wood, weir position, door closures etc) Eheim return pump, Deltec skimmer (2nd hand) and ATI 6x39w Sunpower light unit.
Seeing the Red Sea max set up was what intially made me look and that was about 1500 AUD but then I realised I could set up a system with a lot less constraints and more future proofing for the same sort of cash.
I would suggest you look around, if you look at my FOWLR journal link, that tank was 2nd hand, is spotless and with all the gear cost me a lot less than 1600 AUD and that would include the Live Rock and an MP40, so everything but the fish, as the tank only cost 500 AUD.

Thanks for your opinion, I did think they were a bit ex-y. They did have a second hand marine tank setup for sale (I've just bought the freshwater setup they had) and it was only $900. So the bargains are out there I'll just have to look harder.

How hard is it to do all the plumbing yourself? And drilling a tank scares the willies out of me, but how difficult is it really? I'd probably attempt to do it myself rather than get my partner to do it (he's a builder so can be a bit of a gorilla with more delicate items) but I'm scared stiff I'd crack the glass.

If you where in the UK I would definetly reccomend ebay. But I do understand with aus being a much larger land mass with a much smaller population density there may not be the deals locally as you would hope. I bought all 3 of my tanks from ebay and have saved anywhere upto 80%.

Drilling a tank is both terrifying and also very easy. just requires the right tools a lot of patience and a spray bottle full of water and washing up liquid.

I am keeping my eye out on ebay and gumtree but people are either selling them for brand new price (which is ridiculous!) or selling them cheap but with fish...I would rather do it up slowly from scratch and add corals and fish and others as I go and as the tank is ready. Will keep my eye out anyways.

Most reactions

Back