Making the best of a 5 gallon tank

I’ve also wanted to try those! Maybe if I can find a way to harden my water and I could set up my 3 gallon….
Oh, do they need hard water? My water is very soft, but also slightly alkaline. Weird. I think that's why I've never done well with shrimp or most snails. Red cherries, mystery snails, and ramshorns only last a few months at most. Amanos, trumpet snails, and assassins live forever, though. I have strange water.

I don't know how I've lasted this long without having any! I love some good inverts. Part of why I want to add them first is there's a chance I find myself content with just that.
I found some on Amazon the other day accidentally and read some of the reviews just out of curiosity (live fish... through Amazon?!). One of the questions was: "Can the crabs be kept in a tank with African cichlids if I set them up enough places to hide?"
The response: "Hell no!" Lol!

I'll keep you all posted!
My response would have been, "Yes, for a very short period of time." :lol:

I don't know how I've lasted this long without having any! I love some good inverts. Part of why I want to add them first is there's a chance I find myself content with just that.
I found some on Amazon the other day accidentally and read some of the reviews just out of curiosity (live fish... through Amazon?!). One of the questions was: "Can the crabs be kept in a tank with African cichlids if I set them up enough places to hide?"
The response: "Hell no!" Lol!

I'll keep you all posted!
Yah I'd be saying something similar 😂
With cichlids? Sheesh... Yah... No no no 😅

I wouldn't buy live things off Amazon like fish and invertebrates... Get them off other sellers that specializes in aquatics (heck, even eBay is better in my opinion 😅)

Yah I'd be saying something similar 😂
With cichlids? Sheesh... Yah... No no no 😅

I wouldn't buy live things off Amazon like fish and invertebrates... Get them off other sellers that specializes in aquatics (heck, even eBay is better in my opinion 😅)
100% agree. But if you're ever looking for some entertainment, the question section is quite enjoyable. One person even asked if they were good for human consumption!!

100% agree. But if you're ever looking for some entertainment, the question section is quite enjoyable. One person even asked if they were good for human consumption!!
I mean, they’re small enough you could use them as garnishes on your dish, maybe a bit crunchy though 😳😂

Sometimes I hate to admit it, but I get lost on the question
and reviews on Amazon. Their so funny sometimes 😂

I can't believe someone would seriously ask that for these crabs 💀
Oml 🤦‍♂️😂

Welcome back!

For transport, you can buy little battery-powered aerators. Sure wish they had had those when I was in college! :) As for stocking, have you considered any of the wild betta species? Some (not all) of them are quite durable and willing to travel.
I have a lithium battery powered air pump that I use for my tank. Not only does it store power so that it can keep running for a while if the power goes out, you can also power it off a laptop or portable cell phone charger.

Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a while, but I'm now in college and looking to keep a nice planted tank. I was gifted an almost complete 5-gallon setup that I'm currently cycling. So many options are running through my head... dwarf puffers, betta, dwarf crayfish, micro species, Thai micro crabs, shrimp, all plants, et cetera.
I want to optimize the tank, but consider the fact that twice a year, it will have to come home with me (a 7-hour drive that could be stressful for any picky fish) and survive week-long breaks where a friend will come in and do basic maintenance.
  • I'm leaning away from pea puffers, despite them being my top choice, because I worry the movement will be too stressful for one of them, and they don't take well to dry foods (which a stranger caretaker would have an easier time with). Thoughts?
  • I'm not really a betta person - kept a few and liked them, but never fell in love. But they seem like the obvious choice.
  • I've never kept a dwarf crayfish, but catching one to move home for the summer sounds easy. I'm not sure 5 gallons is big enough. I would avoid the larger species, like the Mexican dwarf, but have read that a Least Dwarf crayfish would be ok. I've had a hard time finding information on them, though.
  • What sounds most appealing right now is a micro-species tank. 5 Thai micro crabs and maybe some shrimp. This is where I feel the fish nerd in me dancing a dangerous line - I'd love to add some ember tetras or a small group of chili rasboras to this tank, but that sounds like too much in too little. Thoughts?
Any ideas? Advice or your own five-gallon stocking would be more than welcome!! Regardless of what goes in this tank, I know it will be heavily planted, well filtrated, and I have a few good heaters I could use. It's a standard rimmed 5.

(I do know some people believe that 5 gallons aren't fit for any fish at all. Which may be reason to stick to shrimp or tiny crabs. I go back and forth on it myself but do find that a heavily planted tank can happily sustain micro species or certain betta species without issue. Pea puffers are pushing it, but with monitoring the water quality and changing the scape consistently, I'm not convinced it's impossible. This is the only tank I'm able to have in college, going from 8 to 1 means this little guy will be getting LOTS of attention lolz)
Heres my 5 gal

Attachments

• 6D47298B-40F2-4ABA-84D6-43852575BCC1.jpeg
    6D47298B-40F2-4ABA-84D6-43852575BCC1.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 45
WOW!! Incredible! Can I ask what aquarium you have? like what brand/where you got it? I don't love the one I have (It doesn't even have water in it yet so debating switching)
So this tank was a tank I had when I started the hobby it wasn’t really for a aqua scape but the brand is splish splash I think but it was never meant to be an aqua scape I just had this pare tank so I used it. But I’m really young so didn’t really take the time to scape it just chucked some rocks and wood in.

So this tank was a tank I had when I started the hobby it wasn’t really for a aqua scape but the brand is splish splash I think but it was never meant to be an aqua scape I just had this pare tank so I used it. But I’m really young so didn’t really take the time to scape it just chucked some rocks and wood in.
It's great it's lasted so long! I'm debating investing in a good rimless aquarium. We shall see

I'll keep you posted! The only reason I feel comfortable doing it is because I know others that have been doing this for years with success and no obvious signs of too much stress (no reduced lifespans on hardy fish, and any discoloration or other stress signals clearing up within a few hours of arrival). But I wouldn't attempt this with any fish that isn't known to be pretty hardy.
Sorry I'm a tad bit late, but I would also like to hear about how you do it! I'll be going to college once I graduate in a few years, but (fingers crossed I get into my choice!) will likely only be driving 2-4 hours max.

Most reactions

Back