Making the best of a 5 gallon tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SOME killifish species can be kept in a 5g.
Borneo sucker loaches are a definite no. They need more space and high flow.
Asian stone catfish are also a no. They'd do better in a 10g

I really appreciate you doing your research and trying hard to do this properly
I REALLY do not want to put a fish in a position that will hurt it just to have something nice to look at while I study. I've just never kept a nano tank before - only 55s, 20s, and one 10 for a rescue betta. Because of that my experience with smaller fish species (especially killis) is really limited. And of course we all know how inaccurate care guides online can be, which will happily recommend I add a barracuda to my little desk tank. Do you have any species in particular that you think can be in a 5? Or should I just abandon my search for fish and settle on a beautifully planted invertebrate tank?

Stone cats would be fine in a 5g, as long as they have plants and leaf litter to hide under. They are one of the most sedentary, easy-going fish I've ever kept. :)

You might also look into sparkling gouramis. They're marginal for a 5g, but if it's well-planted one or two would be fine. They talk to each other, which is fun. I don't know kilis that well, but according to what I've read some of them do OK in small tanks.

I thought they would be ok! Yes, Hara jerdoni. My only hesitation is would you say they should be kept in a group? And if so, how many would be reasonable in a 5? I've read they're happier when they're among their own kind.
Stone cats would be fine in a 5g, as long as they have plants and leaf litter to hide under. They are one of the most sedentary, easy-going fish I've ever kept. :)

You might also look into sparkling gouramis. They're marginal for a 5g, but if it's well-planted one or two would be fine. They talk to each other, which is fun. I don't know kilis that well, but according to what I've read some of them do OK in small tanks.

I've looked into sparkling gouramis and licorice gouramis. But am struggling because so many sites say they need 15-20 gallons. And I can't find anyone who has ever attempted smaller and can vouch for that success.

I thought they would be ok! Yes, Hara jerdoni. My only hesitation is would you say they should be kept in a group? And if so, how many would be reasonable in a 5? I've read they're happier when they're among their own kind.

I've looked into sparkling gouramis and licorice gouramis. But am struggling because so many sites say they need 15-20 gallons. And I can't find anyone who has ever attempted smaller and can vouch for that success.
I've read that, too, but in my experience they are solitary. I had five of them in a heavily planted 55g for years, and I never once saw them interact with each other or anybody else. They just sort of bumble around and do their own thing. They are very good at staying out of sight, but they are very amusing little guys, when you see them.

I've kept a group of sparkling gouramis in a 10 gallon long and they seem very comfortable. I believe a pair would be OK in a 5, with some reservations: Stable water, good, healthy planting, extremely peaceful tankmates. And don't get too attached to any inverts; they are tiny but they aspire to be largemouth bass.

But I haven't actually tried keeping them in a 5, so take that for whatever it's worth.

I REALLY do not want to put a fish in a position that will hurt it just to have something nice to look at while I study. I've just never kept a nano tank before - only 55s, 20s, and one 10 for a rescue betta. Because of that my experience with smaller fish species (especially killis) is really limited. And of course we all know how inaccurate care guides online can be, which will happily recommend I add a barracuda to my little desk tank. Do you have any species in particular that you think can be in a 5? Or should I just abandon my search for fish and settle on a beautifully planted invertebrate tank?
That's totally understandable. I've been in the same position before.
No you don't have to just do invertebrates. I'm sure there are plenty of fish that would do well...

I always thought they needed larger tanks but I could very well be wrong and they could do just fine in a 5g... Me personally, I wouldn't do any less than a 10g for them but that's just me I guess lol...

Asian stone catfish are really cool and definitely on my list of fish I'd want to keep. If you like them and you feel like they are good for your set up then give them a shot!

I've read that, too, but in my experience they are solitary. I had five of them in a heavily planted 55g for years, and I never once saw them interact with each other or anybody else. They just sort of bumble around and do their own thing. They are very good at staying out of sight, but they are very amusing little guys, when you see them.
That's totally understandable. I've been in the same position before.
No you don't have to just do invertebrates. I'm sure there are plenty of fish that would do well...

I always thought they needed larger tanks but I could very well be wrong and they could do just fine in a 5g... Me personally, I wouldn't do any less than a 10g for them but that's just me I guess lol...
You’re doing fantastic with your research, good job. I’m glad you care about your fish!
Thanks for the help everyone! When I get on campus I'll go ahead and set up the tank, add some of my old filter media to help cycle it, and fully indulge in planting it as much as I can. I'll test the water hardness and determine if I need to alter it at all or if it will affect my plans. Once the tank is fully cycled, I'll add the invertebrates I'm excited about (a colony of shrimp and maybe some Thai micro crabs). After a few weeks, provided all of my numbers are stable, I'll see what the local fish store has and ask if I can return a fish if it doesn't do well as an absolute last resort. I'll either make my life easy and just add one stone catfish, keeping an eye out to make sure it's not showing stress from being alone, or I'll look into a pair of gouramis or clown killis.

To move back south, I'll use battery-powered aerators and play around with a few different methods to ensure nobody ends up squished or stressed to death.

I'll keep you all posted! Thanks again, love this forum for this exact reason. And ofc let me know if something there sounds off or if you think of anything else worth noting/trying.

...maybe some Thai micro crabs...
Ooooh, I've always wanted to try those. Man, I have GOT to make myself a dedicated invert tank. So many fun possibilities. I think you're really on the right track. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ooooh, I've always wanted to try those. Man, I have GOT to make myself a dedicated invert tank. So many fun possibilities. I think you're really on the right track. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
I’ve also wanted to try those! Maybe if I can find a way to harden my water and I could set up my 3 gallon….

Yah, those micro crabs are pretty epic! Ive thought about trying them sometime as well. They are fully aquatic unlike most crabs and small!

Keep us updated with your 5 gallon tank Ellie! We'd all love to see it once it's finished!

I’ve also wanted to try those! Maybe if I can find a way to harden my water and I could set up my 3 gallon….
Keep us updated with your 5 gallon tank Ellie! We'd all love to see it once it's finished!

I don't know how I've lasted this long without having any! I love some good inverts. Part of why I want to add them first is there's a chance I find myself content with just that.
I found some on Amazon the other day accidentally and read some of the reviews just out of curiosity (live fish... through Amazon?!). One of the questions was: "Can the crabs be kept in a tank with African cichlids if I set them up enough places to hide?"
The response: "Hell no!" Lol!

I'll keep you all posted!

Most reactions

Back