Need Help With New Fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Whats good free ways to Lower pH levels? I just added a drift wood but didn't change much at all.

Your pH is fine. There is no easy free way to mess with the pH. It also depends on your KH. Also it is better to have a stable pH than a fluctuating one.

Does anyone know if Lagarosiphon major (Oxygen Weed) is good for tropical fish? 

Oh thanks heaps looks like tank might be bit hot for it at times but I might just grow it myself in a separate tank. So I can easily replace it. 

They also grow in lakes in New Zealand (Apparently a pest plant here)
but I don't think I could trust the plants from a lake or would it be okay to grab it from a lake?

I can get it from the pet store for $2.

Hey guys my kirbs just had baby fry! 
Iv got a net hatchery thing that goes into the main tank but just wondering how long will it take till the baby kris are big enough not to fit into the 2mm holes of the net? 
I am guessing around 1-2weeks as that is when people seem to spit the fry from the parents. (From what iv read)
Do I need to do anything special to keep fry alive? e.g more water changes?

Congrats
smile.png
The first fry is always something special.

Be aware that kribs breed like mad. So you should think about, what to do with the offspring, before raising large numbers.

In your case with no other fish in the tank there is no need to seperate the fry from their parents at all. The parents will care for their offspring until they are large enough. And that is actually the fun with cichlids to see how the parents do it. Imho no point in seperately raising fry, except if it is a difficult to breed species and you want to make sure they survive.

No need to do anything special in the beginning. Except try to find some suitable food. With kribs its usually enough to pulverise your regular food between your fingers.

I heard that sometimes the parents fight? or do kirbs not do that? 
so flakes should be okay as long as I break them up into tiny bits?
The only way to stop them breeding would be separating the males and females right? 

Yes, some fight but others never fight. This is not predictable. The larger the tank and the more hiding places and broken lines of sight there are the less (no) damage will be done in case of a fight. (Would like to see a FTS ;))

Yes, flakes should be fine.

Yes, only seperation will stop them from breeding. You can also remove the eggs before they hatch.

Most reactions

Back