Need Help With New Fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This could be display behaviour, but impossible to tell without seeing it.

Good to read the tank upgrade has helped them get more active.

The toxicity of ammonia readings all depends upon the water temperature and its pH, warm alkaline is far more dangerous than cool acidic.

Even if you are running the old filter (or its contents/media) in the new tank, despite being "cycled," you can experience toxin spikes if the old sand/bogwoood etc. do not transfer over too. The beneficial bacteria will grow on many surfaces of a tank, not just inside the filter.

Hey, Yeah I will be monitoring the levels of all the tests daily. I moved all plants over to big tank too. 
Thanks for your help

Cab someone confirm if my tank is good at the moment.
pH 7.4 - 7.6
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nirite 0 ppm
Nirate 5.0ppm

Should I water change?

If you are happy the ammonia reading has not got worse, I don't think you need to do a massive (75-95%) water change.

You might want to change ~10-25% on a daily basis with these sorts of readings, if you start seeing nitrite readings (even 0.25mg/l), then you would need to increase the water change size. Nitrite messes up fishes' ability to get oxygen to their tissue, a classic sign of issues going on is when you see fish gasping at the water surface.

For most fish, under 60ppm, or no more than 20ppm above what's in your tap water, whichever is the lower, is a good place to aim for.

Quick question about using a siphon.
When I siphon the water out + get bits out of gravel it takes out the water too fast to clean all the rocks. Am I meant to put the water in the bucket back into the tank? or just clean different parts of the tank each time I do water changes?

You don't need to clean the stuff inside the tank at all, really. I never take rocks or wood out, unless I'm actually rearranging things.

I thought you were meant to suck the rocks with the siphon to get rid of like poo and old food? I don't mean actually take the rocks out and clean them.

Oh, I see! Sorry 
blush.png

Just do half, or a third with each water change. What I do (only about once a month or so though) is move all the wood and rocks from one part of the tank over to the other end (or the middle), clean under them and put them back. Next water change, I'll do the other end (or the middle; my bigger tanks I tend to do in thirds, the smaller ones in halves).

Hope that makes sense!

Most reactions

Back