Need Help On Tetra Marine Test Kit

khenghock

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

While browsing through my lfs the other day I came across them selling a Tetra marine test kit, or something like that, could not remember clearly lol. :D

It has at least pH saltwater, carbonate and general hardness, nitrite, and ammonia tests, along with other stuff like test vials and such. It's kind of like the Tetratest Laborett Kit, but without the pH for freshwater and also the packaging is definately different.

It was selling for only RM 30 ( USD 8 ), which is very cheap IMO. But then, I noticed that the packaging looks very very old.. it's at least 5 - 10 years old in my estimation, and added with the fact that I cannot find this product in tetra's site, it should be quite old. I opened the box, and had a look inside. Everything looks ok, but the bottles looks old too. The labels particularly look very old. It's hard to describe. You know sometimes white colored labels or stickers turn yellow with time? Those labels all have that yellowish tinge. lol.

Well, my question is, does test kits come with an expiry date? Should those test kits still work?
Also, can the general hardness, nitrite and ammonia tests be used in freshwater tests?

I hope I'm making sense...

sorry for bumping again, but I need to know :X

Somebody please help me?? :-( :-(

I realise this is a very dumb question but I really do not know if there is an expiry date, and I couldn't find one printed anywhere on the box. :X

Thanks again.

I copied and saved this a couple of years ago from a post. The person contacted Tetra by e-mail and this was the response they received:

The kits have a five-year shelf life. Once you open them you should discard them after a year. If you would like us to trouble shoot further please call 800-526-0650 option 1 Monday-Friday 8-5.
Regards,
Tetra Consumer Relations

By your description they sound a lot older than five years. I would try calling them to get some info or compare your readings with reading from your LFS (local fish store) to see if it's still accurate. If you do need to buy a new kit I would suggest the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) Freshwater Master Test Kit. :)

I copied and saved this a couple of years ago from a post. The person contacted Tetra by e-mail and this was the response they received:

The kits have a five-year shelf life. Once you open them you should discard them after a year. If you would like us to trouble shoot further please call 800-526-0650 option 1 Monday-Friday 8-5.
Regards,
Tetra Consumer Relations

By your description they sound a lot older than five years. I would try calling them to get some info or compare your readings with reading from your LFS (local fish store) to see if it's still accurate. If you do need to buy a new kit I would suggest the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) Freshwater Master Test Kit. :)

Thanks! I have not bought the kit yet, I'm just doing my research before really going into marine. :D I'll look out for API the next time I'm at my lfs.

Most reactions

Back