Need Advise .. Protein Skimmers

Chris_C

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have been looking for a protein skimmer for my 220 litre (50ish gallon) over the last week or two and just cant make my mind up... i have been advised to get a Deltec mce 300 skimmer but after alot of reading i have discovered people have a few problems with them and have to mod them abit to make them work properly.

Just looking for feedback on the deltec if anybody uses one and any other recommendations from people who use different skimmers.

Thanks in advance :good:

I know the majority on here swear by deltec, especially the mce 300 but as I've never used one I can't honestly say. Although I haven't heard anything bad or anyone having probs with them myself.

Sorry for the pointless reply. Didn't really answer your question!

Ended up getting a deltec mce 300 for £50 .. what i nightmare to get it fit but got there in the end. Just wanted to check the flow was right if somebody can take a look at this vid. Seems low but never used a skimmer so could be spot on for all i know :lol:

Click For Video

I have a Deltec MCE600 on my 360l reef and a Deltec TS1250 on my 500l FOWLR set up, they are both great, take a few days to settle down and you will probably have to shut the sir intake a bit for a while or empty very wet skim everyday. If its second hand and you have no instructions then I suggest you get on the deltec website (called aquarium solutions) and download yourself the instruction manual.

Nope, thats not right, should be more flow - is the air valve closed?

Yeah the valve was closed :blush: got it at what i would call the five to twelve position now and the level inside the skimmer has risen and the flow is stronger now :good:

There seems to be loads of micro bubbles in everywhere flowing round the tank now .. is that normal at first?

I have a Deltec MCE600 on my 360l reef and a Deltec TS1250 on my 500l FOWLR set up, they are both great, take a few days to settle down and you will probably have to shut the sir intake a bit for a while or empty very wet skim everyday. If its second hand and you have no instructions then I suggest you get on the deltec website (called aquarium solutions) and download yourself the instruction manual.

Thanks George :good: just downloaded the instructions.

Yeah the valve was closed :blush: got it at what i would call the five to twelve position now and the level inside the skimmer has risen and the flow is stronger now :good:

There seems to be loads of micro bubbles in everywhere flowing round the tank now .. is that normal at first?

Yes, micro bubbles are normal, one of the mods many people make is either adding a sponge on the outlet or a piece of tubing with a jubilee clip - I use a sponge as it also cuts down on the noise. Just put a slit in the sponge and push up on the overspill lip/thingy (tech talk there :p)

Seffie x

Yes, micro bubbles are normal, one of the mods many people make is either adding a sponge on the outlet or a piece of tubing with a jubilee clip - I use a sponge as it also cuts down on the noise. Just put a slit in the sponge and push up on the overspill lip/thingy (tech talk there :p)

Seffie x

Thanks Seffie :good:

Most reactions

Back