Need Advice...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ri567

Reaction score
Hello,

I have done some searching on the forums and was able to grasp a pretty good amount of knowledge from other posts. But, I still have a few questions. Ok I recently recieved a goldfish and placed him in a 4 gallon tank along with a black moor. A week after I got the two fishes I bought a black fin shark and mixed him with the other two. I didn't realize that they wouldn't go together because the black fin is a tropical, and the other two are coldwater. But the three of them seem to be doing great together. I've had them for a little over 3 weeks now and just recently inherited a 20 gallon tank with an aqua clean filter. I filtered the water over a 24 hour period and added the to the tank. My girlfriend wants to add more fish since the tank is much bigger. What fish can I buy to add to the tank?

Thanks

I'm newish...but according to what I have read, you should only keep the single goldfish in the 20 Gallon tank. The 4 gallon tank was way too small for the goldfish to even be fully happy on its own. In other words, you were way over stocked with the 4 gallon tank, and with the 20 gallon tank you'll still be over stocked!

Of course, I'm only stating what I have read elsewhere.

none, as you have seriously messed up tanks. The best thing you can do is return all the fish (except one fancy) and keep that in the 20 gallon, then search for fishless cycling and then follow the instructions before adding fish.

1 goldy needs 20 gallons, with each after needing 10, they need very powerful filters and unless you really want goldies I suggest returning everything (fishwise) buying a heater/thermometer and going tropical with maybe a small tetra community

Hello,

I have done some searching on the forums and was able to grasp a pretty good amount of knowledge from other posts. But, I still have a few questions. Ok I recently recieved a goldfish and placed him in a 4 gallon tank along with a black moor. A week after I got the two fishes I bought a black fin shark and mixed him with the other two. I didn't realize that they wouldn't go together because the black fin is a tropical, and the other two are coldwater. But the three of them seem to be doing great together. I've had them for a little over 3 weeks now and just recently inherited a 20 gallon tank with an aqua clean filter. I filtered the water over a 24 hour period and added the to the tank. My girlfriend wants to add more fish since the tank is much bigger. What fish can I buy to add to the tank?

Thanks

Hi!

There's a number of issues here. The first is the one you recognised yourself, that the shark is tropical and the other two coldwater. This may seem not to matter at first, but in the long run somebody will have to live at the wrong temperature and will either become infection prone or will have his lifespan shortened in consequence. I think you need to decide whether you are going to go coldwater or tropical and be prepared to get rid of some fish.

The second issue is space. The 4 gallon is unfortunately not going to work for any of the fish you have: it's a betta tank and nothing much else.

The 20 gallon would just accommodate one goldfish, but it's not ideal, as they do much better in groups and with plenty of swimming space. A common goldfish is really better off outside in a pond, (or in a very big tank inside).

Unless I am mistaken, the 20 gallon is also going to be too small for the shark in the long run.

What I would do would be to rehome all these fish, and then set up the 20 gallon for either cold water with a big school (15 or so) of White Cloud Mountain minnows, or a tropical community with a selection of 2 or 3 species from the following groups: tetras, livebearers, corydoras, small barbs (like cherry barbs, not tigers), small gouramis.

I would get a betta and possibly some shrimps for the 4 gallon- or reserve that as a hospital tank (with its filter sponge kept in the big tank when not in use).

Agreed.
1. Rehome or take back everything you have at the moment.
2. Read all the pinned topics at the top of the beginners forum.
3. Fishless cycle your tank. Follow the "Add & Wait" method in this article. Ammonia from Homebase Household cleaning section UK.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...3861&hl=methods
4. Whilst fishless cycling reserach what tropicals to have.

OR

Take back your shark & one of your goldfish. Just keep one as that's all theres room for really once it grows up. You'll probably need to water change about 20% with dechlorinated water twice a week for a few weeks until your filter is colonised with bacteria as well.

Most reactions

Back