Nano Tank Ideas

My two males ended up killing each other once they were full grown.
they naturally occur in very large shoals - two males and two females won't work out well

https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldwide.com/post/c-travancoricus
Extensive observations of Pea Puffers (of both wild and captive origin) have revealed that they are more confident, have a better feeding response, live longer, are more expressive with their keepers, and less aggressive towards conspecifics when they are kept in groups comprising of at least 6.

Possibly a singular dwarf pea pufferfish. I had a group of 4 in a 15 gallon tank and it worked great, unfortunately two ended up jumping out of a tiny gap in the lid on the tank in the middle of the night and died, so do keep that in mind. Also, they ate my cherry shrimp so I would not suggest keeping one with cherry shrimp, especially in a tank that small as it will likely be territorial. They do not need to grind down their beaks and I had no problem feeding mine solely on frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, occasionally throwing in live snails for them to eat.

Last edited:
they naturally occur in very large shoals - two males and two females won't work out well

https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldwide.com/post/c-travancoricus

That's what I mean with the interweb. You can visit 5 different sites and get 5 different versions of what works. And of course everything looks good on paper, but doesn't always apply that way in real life. Like I said, seriously fish says you can keep a single in a small tank or 2-3 gallons more per for a group. I don't know what to think.

I stopped by the LFS at lunch (50% off, you don't have to ask me twice!). Picked up some super fine gravel substrate, blue river stones, piece of mopani wood, a coffeefolia, water sprite, and some java moss. Didn't see any pea puffers, but when talking to a worker he said he knew of one. It was in a tank it shouldn't be and they didn't notice until last week. It looked to be about 5-6mm, tiny little guy! They said they don't expect anymore until fall. Didn't get him since I'm still unsure and the tank isn't set up, but being where he is I doubt anyone will be purchasing him.

Possibly a singular dwarf pea pufferfish. I had a group of 4 in a 15 gallon tank and it worked great, unfortunately two ended up jumping out of a tiny gap in the lid on the tank in the middle of the night and died, so do keep that in mind. Also, they ate my cherry shrimp so I would not suggest keeping one with cherry shrimp, especially in a tank that small as it will likely be territorial. They do not need to grind down their beaks and I had no problem feeding mine solely on frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, occasionally throwing in live snails for them to eat.

Thanks for replying, I was hoping some keepers would jump in. I spoke with the store employee and he advised frozen blood worms and/or live black worms, which aligns with your experience. He also told me if I just stop in and ask for some nuisance snails they would be happy to just give them to me. As it is, all the snails they sell are quite large (shells at least 3/4" across). How large of a snail can a full grown pea eat?

And yeah, at $5/ea, cherry shrimp seem like an expensive meal!

I stopped by the LFS at lunch (50% off, you don't have to ask me twice!). Picked up some super fine gravel substrate, blue river stones, piece of mopani wood, a coffeefolia, water sprite, and some java moss. Didn't see any pea puffers, but when talking to a worker he said he knew of one. It was in a tank it shouldn't be and they didn't notice until last week. It looked to be about 5-6mm, tiny little guy! They said they don't expect anymore until fall. Didn't get him since I'm still unsure and the tank isn't set up, but being where he is I doubt anyone will be purchasing him.

Thanks for replying, I was hoping some keepers would jump in. I spoke with the store employee and he advised frozen blood worms and/or live black worms, which aligns with your experience. He also told me if I just stop in and ask for some nuisance snails they would be happy to just give them to me. As it is, all the snails they sell are quite large (shells at least 3/4" across). How large of a snail can a full grown pea eat?

$5 each for RCS??

Nah........

True story, I checked them out when I was at the LFS. Amano's were $7 and they had snowballs and sunburst for $14 ea!
Heck, you can get 60 for $56 (plus shipping) on that site I linked...I buy from there every once in a while, real shrimp breeders, not just retailers...

True story, I checked them out when I was at the LFS. Amano's were $7 and they had snowballs and sunburst for $14 ea!
This is the mega store about 30min away. I'm sure they are overpriced, but it is a nice store.

(Not my vid so please feel free to remove if I'm in violation)

This is the mega store about 30min away. I'm sure they are overpriced, but it is a nice store.

(Not my vid so please feel free to remove if I'm in violation)
Nice....My LFS is a dump, compared to that place, lol

Nice....My LFS is a dump, compared to that place, lol

Nice can be a problem too. A lot of people seem to treat it as an amusement park for their kids. Great for the kids to get to see all the different fish and maybe get some of them interested in the hobby, but makes it next to impossible to just run in real quick and grab something. Usually have to wait 15-20min just to get an employee.

Nice can be a problem too. A lot of people seem to treat it as an amusement park for their kids. Great for the kids to get to see all the different fish and maybe get some of them interested in the hobby, but makes it next to impossible to just run in real quick and grab something. Usually have to wait 15-20min just to get an employee.
Understood...some of the nicer places in Houston are that way

As it is, all the snails they sell are quite large (shells at least 3/4" across). How large of a snail can a full grown pea eat?

Looking back, @Circus already stated that larger snails are left alone. So I guess one could just get some adult snails, put them in the same tank, and let a pea feed off the breeding?

So I guess one could just get some adult snails, put them in the same tank, and let a pea feed off the breeding?
They have eaten all of the rams horns I have put in, and the pond snails. I will post pics for size. (The quarter is for reference. The nerite snail in the tank is slightly larger than the quarter). You might be able to try that with a larger mystery snail, but would have no guarantee of it being female and they egg clusters are pretty large and ugly.
I have a couple types of coaches and puffers, so I breed the pond and rams horns. I also breed mystery snails for profit and trade.

I have heard of people freezing their snails (in a gallon bag) and feeding as needed. Freeze dried shrimp, bloodworm, and tubifex worms are also an option. You can rehydrate those as needed by soaking them in a spoonful of tank water. Much less mess that way.

Attachments

• 20210813_124856.jpg
    20210813_124856.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210813_124620.jpg
    20210813_124620.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 56

As a rule of thumb I would only give them snails with shells smaller than the fish themselves, they do have a surprisingly large appetite and will eat a large snail. Snails like full grown nerites wouldn't be touched though. My LFS actually used to do the same for me and whenever I would come to the shop they would give me a bunch of Malaysian trumpet snails for my little fellas to eat. They also get bored quite easily so make sure the tank has quite a lot of decor to make it interesting for your pea lol.

Most reactions

Back