Nano Reef Diary... Updated 18/06/06

Wonderful work Ben, I'm deeply impressed.

I have a few questions if I may?

What is inside your filter - bio or chemical media (or both)? I assume the live rock does most of the necessary bio filtration?
How much live rock do you have in there (Kg)?
Does your filter provide all the necessary flow or is there another small internal hidden away in there?
Is your air driven skimmer noisy?
Is that live aragonite sand or just regular?
Is the lighting actinic or standard (10000K)?
Do you any problems with nuisance algae - if so how did you deal with it?

Sorry for all the questions, I've always been interested in nano reefs.

gf225 said:
Wonderful work Ben, I'm deeply impressed.

I have a few questions if I may?

What is inside your filter - bio or chemical media (or both)? I assume the live rock does most of the necessary bio filtration?
How much live rock do you have in there (Kg)?
Does your filter provide all the necessary flow or is there another small internal hidden away in there?
Is your air driven skimmer noisy?
Is that live aragonite sand or just regular?
Is the lighting actinic or standard (10000K)?
Do you any problems with nuisance algae - if so how did you deal with it?

Sorry for all the questions, I've always been interested in nano reefs.
[snapback]903847[/snapback]​

The filter contains ceramic tubes, ehfi substrat (sintered glass) and carbon with a small sponge for water polishing.

5.8KG of live rock..

Filter has a 310lph pump, have a 2nd 310Lph pump at the top, did have 2 but have removed one for the moment to see how things do with just the 2.

The skimmer is not bad, its just the noise of the air pump, so i guess it depends how quiet your air pump is.

Regular TMC Sand.

2 x 11W compact T5s.

Hardly any problems with algae, get a bit of green algae on the glass, those bits that the snails miss i scrape off with an algae magnet.

Ben

That's interesting. In reef tanks I always assumed these days it was "best practice" to use as little regular biological media as possible and allow the live rock/protein skimmer to do all the work thus limiting nitrate production.

I suppose you must read low nitrates with your low bio-load. How often do you clean the main filter bio-media?

Any idea what the spec of your T5s are i.e. colour temp?

Forgot to ask earlier - do you use RO?

Keep up the good work, inspiring stuff indeed.

Yes, it is good to use the reef as your main filter, but it cant get rid of everything, its good to have a backup incase something happens.

No idea what spec the T5s are...

I use normal tap water with a bit of Aqua Safe left to stand for 24hrs or so.

[snapback]903968[/snapback]​
Thanks. It appears that nano reefs aren't perhaps and difficult to set up as I first thought.

Thanks. It appears that nano reefs aren't perhaps and difficult to set up as I first thought.
I've been following this post and thinking the same thing. Been doing some research into marines and it seems newbies are recommended larger tanks of 55, 60, 70 gallons. I think the reason nanos arent recommended is cos if something does go wrong in a smaller tank it can cause the whole system to crash. I'd love a marine...they're just so expensive.

Look forward to more pictures bunjiweb.

Thats the only reason hondour, which is why you have to monitor the water carefully and remember to do water top-ups and changes. Other than this it has been very care free.

Ben

Dare I say it may be comparable to running a high-tech, heavily planted tank in terms of monitoring water parameters, cost etc. Obviously there's less room for error in a nano, when things go even a tiny bit off balance the results are generally disasterous, in a planted tank you just get nuisance algae.

I like the sound of regular top-ups and monthly water changes over my current 50% weekly water changes (RO and tap)!

Thanks for the info Ben - you have inspired me to plan my own nano (on paper, at least for now). Maybe next year when I get back from the Falklands and saved a bit of cash.

I knew those PFK reefkeeping articles would come in handy one day. ;)

Couple more pics, got a new polyp yesterday, not actually sure what it is...

newpolyps.jpg

newpolyps1.jpg

And My Watermelon Mushroom which has finally opened out again! hurrah!...

watermelon1.jpg

watermelon2.jpg

And a couple more pics of my Florida Ricordia, which keeps growing and is moving round to the front which is great!...

ricordia1.jpg

ricordia2.jpg

Ben :)

The last 4 pics are mushroom anenomes, I have 4 types of mushroom in my tank, they can look really pretty!

Ben

bunjiweb said:
The last 4 pics are mushroom anenomes, I have 4 types of mushroom in my tank, they can look really pretty!

Ben
[snapback]907333[/snapback]​
If and when I take the reef plunge I will definitely stock with mostly mushroom anenomes. From the little I understand they're relatively hardy and don't need too much light or current. Sounds ideal for the beginner.

Thats exactly it, although there are some exceptions to the light rule so check before you buy. Polyps and Mushrooms are the safest thing to stick to in a beginner tank, they are very easy to look after and look great. The hardest thing i have in the tank is the Pussey coral, although that is doing great, although unfortunately it will grow too big and I will probably have to frag it.

Ben

fantastic ben, i too am now hankering to start and as i now ahvd a job and am no longer a student i just might eb able to

Most reactions

Back