My Planted Tank Journey

Looks excellent Paul, really does! :) I was told about it by a friend so can't take full credit, lol. :D

I may be tempted to use it at some point in the near future... :hey:

Looks excellent Paul, really does! :) I was told about it by a friend so can't take full credit, lol. :D

I may be tempted to use it at some point in the near future... :hey:

Thanks minnnt - I'm well chuffed with it. Sod to clean though.

Journal Entry

Well tomorrow is substrate change over day - gulp! Since I will be emptying the tank I will be able to get to the back. This means I can replace my black card background which I suspect won't last long. Instead I have bought some black self adhesive film called d-c fix deco from b&q (used to be called fablon?) . Have tested it and it works a treat - sticks well and comes off easily should you want to change it.

Now to clean the cat litter again!

Yeah i know it's a pain to clean, but the price makes you feel better about that... lol!! :D

Oh I'm very pleased with the price :)

Just finished another half hour of cleaning - my hands have never felt so soft lol. It's a lot cleaner now, if I bury the hose in it. It diseñar churn up any dust now. It only gets mucky if I stir hard but I'm pretty sure that will always be the case.

Journal Entry

Substrate Change day!

After a few cups of coffee it was time to change my substrate from gravel over to Tesco cat litter. A quick look at the bucket containing my washed cat litter showed that it looked pretty clean.

First job, empty some water and the plants. That was the easy bit. Some good news is that my Vallis had started producing runners and was rooting pretty well. The swords also had some good root growth which I was pleased with. But the biggest surprise was the roots on my crypts. They started life off several years ago as two small potted plants. When I took them out they had a massive root system and I mean massive. These will be broken up into small plants later.

Next up was to catch the fish. This was a job and a half. The cories were really easy, the platies, neons and gouramis not bad, the lemon tetras - a bloody nightmare. Not only could I not see them, they were quick. Ended up using two nets at the same time - even the misses had a go and got a couple for me.

Right, fish and plants out - now to remove the gravel.

Gravel out and vast majority of the water as well. Next I moved the tank out and hovered behind for the first time in years - yuck. Also added the black self adhesive film which was a little tricky but looked pretty good when done.

Hoofed in the large bucket of cleaned cat litter and slapped it in - so far so good. Next - fill her back up.

Oh dear - not as clean as I thought!

I was expecting to be able to put the plants and fish back in at this point but decided to let it clear before. So filter on and I put a heater in the bucket containing the fish.

It's a nice day so we went out for 3-4 hours.

Got back and it was starting to clear so in went the plants. These are by no means their final place but it looks ok for now. After splitting the crypts I ended up with 12-15 small plants. Have put these in a group and am hoping these will fill out over time. I may move them closer as I'm sure it will take some time to fill out.

Any long roots were trimmed which should encourage new growth. I split my vallis up creating a nice patch at the back and grouped the swords together - still no real improvement on these but their roots looked good and I will be adding root tabs tomorrow.

A while later it had cleared some more so not wanting to leave the fish in a bucket any longer, I put them back in. They all seem to be doing ok admiring their new carpet.

So there we are - cat litter in and hopefully tomorrow the water will clear again. I will check my params every day.

LMFAO!!

Organised chaos... :hey:

Ha ha - I ain't changing substrate again for a loooooong time.

Great work!! The Crypts are going to LOVE getting their feet into that when it starts to fill up with nutrients.

Now have a well deserved cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit with your feet up... :good: :D

Great work!! The Crypts are going to LOVE getting their feet into that when it starts to fill up with nutrients.

Now have a well deserved cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit with your feet up... :good: :D

Thanks minnnt - tea? I'm on the beer lol.

I gotta say - I am loving this cat litter - it is so vibrant and really shows the plants off well. It's really clearing now from the bottom up - so hopefully it should be crystal tomorrow :)

You're welcome mate.

Maybe you should have gone with the toothbrush technique though... Would have loved to have seen those pics! :D

And yes, tea, i'm a wimp you see. :look:

looking good! snip those sword leaves off mind, will help promote new leaf growth.

Most reactions

Back