My Ocean In A Box :)

Thanks :D been looking at the deltec skimmers so not a bad guess haha. The 600 is a bit pricey for me at the moment so will probably get the 300 for now to get me on my way.

50% water change done .. got water from a different LFS and sticking with these now until i can mix my own salt RO. There fish all seem healthy and happy. Just tested there water before putting it in and ph is 8.2 .. and 0 nitrates etc..

If i keep using there water will this help my tank raise from my 7.8 ph upto 8.2?

depends on a few things, calcium and magnesium levels, DKH, CO2 levels etc.....
tbh mate stable is better than spot on and slightly low pH isnt a massive problem so i wouldnt worry about it.

depends on a few things, calcium and magnesium levels, DKH, CO2 levels etc.....
tbh mate stable is better than spot on and slightly low pH isnt a massive problem so i wouldnt worry about it.

Ok :) thanks Sorgan.

Just tested today after my 50% water change yesterday.

The new water seems to have raised my pH to 8.0 so will give it a week to see if it stays stable there.

Ammonia is 0

Nitrite is 0

Nitrates seems to have come down but not much :( was hoping for a bigger drop after the water change :( still around the 20 mark.

The only other thing i can think might be causing the nitrates to stay up is my external filter?

I took all the media out and replaced with live rock rubble but think there is some sponges still in there at the bottom. Should i take these out? or should i just remove the filter all together? was just using it to move water around and using the outlet to agitate the water surface.

I would remove all the sponges and replace with live rock :good: filters are a good way of holding media, carbon etc.

Seffie x

Ok :good: will take all sponges out now. just want to get some life in there now :( sick of looking at rock for the last 4 weeks or so :sad:

Ok :good: will take all sponges out now. just want to get some life in there now :( sick of looking at rock for the last 4 weeks or so :sad:

lol, and i just want some rock in there. looking at water isnt fun either.

lol, and i just want some rock in there. looking at water isnt fun either.

I was lucky enough to find somebody round the corner breaking his tank down so water and rock went in at the same time. I have then added a second batch to give me 40kilo of rock now. Once i was happy with my scape things started to get boring though :( ah well patience patience patience. Looking at rock for a few weeks is better than looking at upside down fish :fun:

Tonight i had big problems with my external filter :-( it started to leak everywhere :S so i have taken it out and now i am keeping away from external filters!! what a nightmare i have had.

So basically came on to ask what people suggest i run now. I have 3 powerheads running at over 7000 lph which i think is more than enough for my 220 litre.

I have around 35kgs of live rock in there aswell.

What else do people suggest i need? i have been looking into a deltec skimmer and just wondering once i have this if i have enough to keep my tank happy?

Not been on for a few days so thought i would do an update.

After my filter nightmare i have got rid now and have purchased a skimmer off ebay for £50. Its a deltec mce 300. I had to fight my tank to get it on and fitting right but after an hour or so i finally had it on and up and running.

3be4431e.jpg

Whilst i was collecting the skimmer the guy offered me 4 frags for £10 so i snatched his hand off :D they are all photosynthetic so they are no trouble and just feed off the light.
c2932c3e.jpg

He said this was a torch coral but looks more like a hammer to me now i have seen it come out.

Here is a gorgonian that i also got .. cant remember what Sorgan said it was called.
kkkkkkkk.jpg

Here are some mushrooms
photo-3.jpg

I also got a kenya tree but dont currently have a pic. Will get one up asap.

Next up i added some CUC today .. it has been a busy few days for my tank but finally good to see some life in there now. I purchased 5 turbo snails and 5 red leg hermits to start off with. How much more CUC would people suggest i add?

Here is some of my snails working on my algae and one taking a ride :lol:

657992ce.jpg

Hermit crab
92423c3b.jpg

ce05b7f2.jpg

I think i am up to date now :) any comments are welcome and any advise on CUC would be great. Sorry about the picture quality .. i need to sort my camera.

Looking good. I would also add some Nass and Cerith snails and a cleaner shrimp too.

Most reactions

Back