My Ocean In A Box :)

Nass snails sift the sand and are good to watch.

cerith snails are also good ones :good: but I would cut your lighting hours to 10 hours and see how the algae is then maybe 8 hours if you need to. If that dosnt work then get some more snails.

I would recommend some sand sifters so maybe get 5 nass or cerith snails and cut the lighting hours to 10 hours :good:

Looking really good :)

Did you get the hermits & snails from Abyss? How much did they set you back?

Looking really good :)

Did you get the hermits & snails from Abyss? How much did they set you back?

I got 5 red leg hermits from the abyss and 5 turbo snails. Total was about £20 i think..

Got the rest including the big lad from someone breaking there tank down. :D

The large hermit is a Electric Blue (Calcinus elegans) they attack, kill and eat other snails/crabs so just keep an eye on him. The red on the sand looks like cyanobacteria to me.

The large hermit is a Electric Blue (Calcinus elegans) they attack, kill and eat other snails/crabs so just keep an eye on him. The red on the sand looks like cyanobacteria to me.

Yeah i found that out earlier today mate.. might think about finding him a new home. Not seen him attack anything yet :look: (runs off and counts how many snails are in tank) :lol:

Lol just keep an eye out. He may leave them alone and never touch them. I do like the Electrics tbh. They can grow big once saw one that was about 2-3 inchs was huge.

Just had a scan of the tank and noticed something orange in the rock :unsure: investigated under a rock and one of the 2 halloween hermits i got with the electric hermit was dead floating next to his empty shell :sad: why has he been brutally murdered in a house robbery but his house hasn't been stolen?

i got the big electric dude along with the 2 halloweens and 2 tricolour hermits all from someone breaking a small tank down. He said he has had them all ages and there was no fighting etc.. so what has changed? the tricoloured hermits have seemed the most heavy handed since adding them, constantly jumping on the back of anything with a shell.

I went to pick the dead halloween dude out but he floated down the back of my rock :angry: will he cause an ammonia spike if i dont get him or will CUC find him and have a buffet?

Just read that hermits sometimes shed there outter skin .. could this be a possibility? :unsure: the reason i ask is because he was in a tight space under a rock like he was hiding.. do they leave there shell to shed skin?

When they shed their skin they tend to hide for a few days to a week so to give the new skin time to harden. They shed when the change shells or at least mine do. I would leave to old skin in something will feast on it. The more empty shells you provide the less chance a hermit will take one from a snail.

When they shed their skin they tend to hide for a few days to a week so to give the new skin time to harden. They shed when the change shells or at least mine do. I would leave to old skin in something will feast on it. The more empty shells you provide the less chance a hermit will take one from a snail.

Ok cheers Andy :D i did order some shells off ebay around a fortnight ago but still waiting :angry:

Plumbed my RO unit in yesterday and finally got my first batch of RO water today :D

04e4c230.jpg

All plumbed in and leak free :hyper:

Tapped into my water supply by going into a cold water supply the same as you would connect your washing machine to.. Didnt want the self taping unit because i live in a rented house.
4d5a19df.jpg

Flushed the unit before using it to make sure nothing sinister was inside the unit and after running off my first batch and tested the TDS of the water :)

Coming out of my tap the tds was 31 which is mega low as most people's tap water is in the hundreds!!

Tested a batch of water once it had gone through the RO and it came out ...

52a6f5d4.jpg

0!! WOOO :hyper:

getting a decent water pressure also of 50 psi which is giving me around 15 litres and hour.

86464f3f.jpg

Most reactions

Back