My new 55 gallon tank!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yean, but it's been only 4 days since i've set it up. Is it possible that it will cycle that fast? I didn't add any chemicals to help it cycle and I didn't add any fish either. some say I have to add fish first to start the cycle and the nitrates and ammonia are 0 is because there was no fish to produce ammonia to begin with.

Not sure how I missed that last night. For some reason I thought this thread was brought up from the past and your ammonia/nitrites were down to zero now when I replied.

I have heard others say that Cycle will instantly cycle a tank in a matter of a couple days and they swear by it, but have also heard some say it didn't work for them. I've heard good reviews about a product called Bio-Spira, also. This is actually supposed to be better although more expensive than Cycle.

Personally, I would go with a fishless cycle rather than use chemicals.

I would use a fishless cycle too. However I don't have time for that since my oscar is in need of immediate transfer.

quote from Regular Guy:

"I'm afraid that with feeders will come the disease. I added something called "Cycle" it's supposedly should jump start it by providing bacteria that decrease ammonia and nitrite levels. I was told to let the tank sit for 2 days and let the fish in. "

Well, I quarantine my feeders for at least 2 weeks to make sure they aren't carrying any unwanted disease. And if that was still a concern, you could always remove them prior to putting in your other fish.
I've never used "Cycle" before. I would be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

I seeded my 55 with media and gravel from a 10 gal. I didn't get any ammonia or nitrite readings. Seems the bacteria took hold right away. After 4 days if you don't have readings i'd say ur ok.

impur said:
I seeded my 55 with media and gravel from a 10 gal. I didn't get any ammonia or nitrite readings. Seems the bacteria took hold right away. After 4 days if you don't have readings i'd say ur ok.
Wow, Thanks. It seems to be the same in my case. Today I transferred my fish to a new tank; I also added another 10-15 gallons from an old tank. My readings today were as perfect as yesterday and the day before that. He seems happy now. Although he is not exploring yet, but did eat and swims around half of the tank. I'll get some pics after he'll get used to the new tank, I don't want to disturb him by walking around and putting on the lights.

Here's what your problem is. You want an instant cycle. The problem with that is bacteria only grow so fast.

If you don't have any other fish in the 30 gallon, I would transfer the filter with the media to the new 55. This will give you good results and you will have little to no cycle, because you are using an established bacteria colony. But, you also need to put the permanant filter on so that some of the bacteria will begin to colonize that filter. Give it about a month, and then take the media from the older filter and squeeze it into the other filter, and remove the smaller filter. At that time, you will have to cycle the 30, but it will still have a head start. This only works if you have no fish left in the 30, and if you wash the filter media in the water you remove during water changes.

If you DO have fish left in the 30, I would transfer as much gravel as you can fit, remember that only the first inch or so is usefull in this situation. Put as much as you can fit in your filter (if you have any room) into some nylon sacks (nylon stockings). Put that in your filter, and the bacteria should colonize the media from there. This has a relativly low population of bacteria, so I would recommend washing (in tank water) your media from the 30 and put it into the filter of the 55 (if they fit, you may even be able to use it as 1/2 of the main media).

The main theory is to get as much bacteria into the 55 as possible. Beneficial bacteria only grow on stationary objects, and in greater number with good flow/high oxygen. The rock, and gravel was a good idea.

Your readings don't mean you're cycled, it means that there's no/very little waste. This means, that as soon as you put waste producing fish into the tank, their waste will turn into ammonia, the bacteria will build up to meet this need (about 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 weeks) and produce nitrItes. Then the bacteria that "eat" nitrItes will build up to meet this need (about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks) and produce nitrAtes. When ammonia and nitrItes reach zero consitantly you are fully cycled. Any change in waste production will result in a "mini-cycle".

Therefore, I would recommend starting will an established colony of bacteria and just use the oscars to complete the cycle. This will result in a shorter cycle period, and less risk of fish loss. I don't recommend the use of chemicals or "Encapsulated bacteria" simply because I don't have any experience with them. Good luck and Good fishing!

Edit: Opps :crazy: , I didn't look at page two. Guess, you know most of this now, but I'll leave it up.

If you've used old tank water (mixed with fresh) and transferred the media from your filters you should be fine to add the O's. Only normally wait a day or so - never lost a fish to new tank syndrome yet.

JUST LET THE WATER CYCLE BUT DONT FORGET IF U ADD FISH THAT ARE A BIGGER PAYLOAD THEN UR TANK EXPECTED THEN IT WILL MOST LIKELY START TO CYCLE AGAIN

Most reactions

Back