My 'fish In' Cycle Log

There are whole families of devices of which the "Python" brand is the most famous. They consist of a bunch of parts which you can choose depending on your situation. There are little brass adapters that will screw into a bathroom or kitchen faucet, depending on the faucet brand, where the aerator would normally go. These adapt the faucet to a normal garden hose type of fitting. Then they have varying lengths of clear hose that can run from the faucet to the tank for refilling. At the tank end there are different height gravel cleaning tube fittings to work with various heights of tanks. Also there are valve devices that can be used to cleverly put the force of the faucet flow to work creating a vacuum that sucks air out of the long clear hose and primes the siphon at the tank end, starting the tank draining process and saving you from having to suck on the siphon hose if you don't want to. The major value of these devices is saving you from any bucket hauling if you have a medium to large volume tank.

~~waterdrop~~

There are whole families of devices of which the "Python" brand is the most famous. They consist of a bunch of parts which you can choose depending on your situation. There are little brass adapters that will screw into a bathroom or kitchen faucet, depending on the faucet brand, where the aerator would normally go. These adapt the faucet to a normal garden hose type of fitting. Then they have varying lengths of clear hose that can run from the faucet to the tank for refilling. At the tank end there are different height gravel cleaning tube fittings to work with various heights of tanks. Also there are valve devices that can be used to cleverly put the force of the faucet flow to work creating a vacuum that sucks air out of the long clear hose and primes the siphon at the tank end, starting the tank draining process and saving you from having to suck on the siphon hose if you don't want to. The major value of these devices is saving you from any bucket hauling if you have a medium to large volume tank.

~~waterdrop~~

Sounds great but how do you use a water conditioner with this unit?

Todays Results:

Ammonia: 0-10ppm
Nitrite: 0-15ppm
PH: 7.6

Personally I do what RDD recommended to me once. I calculate the recommended amount of conditioner, take half that amount and dump it directly in the tank at the beginning of the refill, then at the end of the fill I dump in the other half. (Having said that, I'll tell you what I "really" do at the moment, lol. I have a large bottle of Seachem Prime I happened to get on sale. Its very concentrated, so a small portion of a capful would do the whole tank. Its easier to just pour that tiny bit, so that's just what I do both before and after, which effectively roughly doubles the dose the tank is getting. As the colonies in the filter get to be a year old, I'll probably use less as they will be robust enough not to really be touched much by chlorine.)

~~waterdrop~~

Personally I do what RDD recommended to me once. I calculate the recommended amount of conditioner, take half that amount and dump it directly in the tank at the beginning of the refill, then at the end of the fill I dump in the other half. (Having said that, I'll tell you what I "really" do at the moment, lol. I have a large bottle of Seachem Prime I happened to get on sale. Its very concentrated, so a small portion of a capful would do the whole tank. Its easier to just pour that tiny bit, so that's just what I do both before and after, which effectively roughly doubles the dose the tank is getting. As the colonies in the filter get to be a year old, I'll probably use less as they will be robust enough not to really be touched much by chlorine.)

~~waterdrop~~

So its ok to put the stress coat directly in the tank? Should you just put it in at the powerhead? Sounds like a good plan if it works.. I just looked up the 'python' and it looks like an absolute life saver! That would make life so much easier... I cant find any UK stores selling it but hopefully one of the US sites will ship..

~~waterdrop~~

So its ok to put the stress coat directly in the tank? Should you just put it in at the powerhead? Sounds like a good plan if it works.. I just looked up the 'python' and it looks like an absolute life saver! That would make life so much easier... I cant find any UK stores selling it but hopefully one of the US sites will ship..

I have found a place that will ship but the unit is ridiculously expensive for what it is..Im going to go to homebase tommorow and buy the equipment I need to construct something similar myself...

Went to the hardware store and bought what I needed to maky my own version.. Just did a 50% water change and it works great! saved myself 60 euro in buying the 'python'... :D

Yes, I believe BTT even had an article on TFF with pictures of making a homemade python device, it was pretty cool! The important thing is the idea behind the thing. It gets people thinking about what aspect of the process could be helped in what way for their particular situation. Glad you got yours worked out!

~~waterdrop~~

Jay2k6ie, it looks like you may almost have your cycle under control. A few more readings like that and you will need to start actually watching your nitrates.

Yes, I believe BTT even had an article on TFF with pictures of making a homemade python device, it was pretty cool! The important thing is the idea behind the thing. It gets people thinking about what aspect of the process could be helped in what way for their particular situation. Glad you got yours worked out!

~~waterdrop~~

I certainly do. Here it is (I can't take the credit for it, it was written by another member, i just added pictures and a few extra guidelines).

How to make a DIY Python

Todays Results:

Ph; 7.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm

Those results are looking good, Jay2k6ie. Lets hope ammonia and nitrite stay at 0. Keep testing! :good:

Todays results:

PH 7.6
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

Im reading no nitrite or ammonia with a 5ppm nitrate after two weks of cycling with 6 pearl danios..
Is this a good sign?

Hi there J,

Check the last paragraph of my first post in your thread. You look to be doing great and there you'll find how to determine the endpoint and what to do when you get there.

~~waterdrop~~

Hi there J,

Check the last paragraph of my first post in your thread. You look to be doing great and there you'll find how to determine the endpoint and what to do when you get there.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks waterdrop! Im still going out to pick up the established floss off my contact tommorow.. If my tank is truly cycled should I risk adding this floss or will it make any difference?

Most reactions

Back