my favorite fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i have another one also. usually only can get pics of it with the fry sleeping. have noticed the same deterioration on it as well. this one does eat alot of protein. big honking hunks of meat at a time! thought it had bloat and restricted it's diet. did not help though :/

semper fi

Mine seems to have the same issue with meat. To tell you the truth, mine has gradually become more and more sluggish and only seems to perk up when it's feeding time. And it's starting to make strange grumbling noises while it's asleep, do you think this is something I should be worried about, or is this a norm for the species?

Mogo

i think it may be due to the funngus like growth on the back of the that you said that you was forming. the fungus could be a contributing factor to the sluggish demeanor of it. i think the noises emitted by it are normal. i have noticed my other one emitting noises when it is moving around. also seems that some species of this fish get very flatulant during mating and the male uses this to try to draw the females in. does not seem to impress the female, but the other males will join in.

semper fi

Is it territorial or have you tried introducing more than one male? I hear they growl and hiss and make funny gestures until one is forced to back off. Their awkward courtship display can be very funny to watch for the keen observer...

Most reactions

Back