My Cories Are Spawning Everywhere!

Don't want to come across at all boastful, but all the ones of mine that hatched still appear to be going (11) ! I am counting myself lucky and they're a long way off adulthood yet. Perhaps Peppered are more hardy? Or my water supply is more ideal?
They've been in the main tank and just kept to the usual 60-70% weekly water change. Been feeding egg yolk strained through cloth, 'Hikari First Bites' and 'Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp'.
Added a pond snail to the breeder box/net today to help clean up. I just suck out any snail poop now and recycle the sand.
Inbreeding might be a concern too. Are your cories tank raised?

I bought these cories as locally raised, and their behaviour matches that. They were close in size, from the same batch bought at the same time, so the four adults I bred from are almost certainly brothers and sisters... :sick:

Which would be fine for one or two generations, but who knows how many generations the breeder who produced these adults may have mixed? If they were line bred or inbreed for several generations, that would certainly account for increased infant mortality rates.

Yeh I was concerned about inbreeding, someone mentioned 4th line is when you are to worry. But I've no idea where these came from other than Maidenhead Aquatics :look:

A little pink belly full of baby brine shrimp.
22373C5F-9E4B-42A2-8CFC-9B833D55A83D.jpeg

Yeh I was concerned about inbreeding, someone mentioned 4th line is when you are to worry. But I've no idea where these came from other than Maidenhead Aquatics :look:
Line breeding isn’t too bad but full inbreeding is a no no. These fry will not go back in the main tank. Another tank will be started with no breeding.

Don't want to come across at all boastful, but all the ones of mine that hatched still appear to be going (11) ! I am counting myself lucky and they're a long way off adulthood yet. Perhaps Peppered are more hardy? Or my water supply is more ideal?
They've been in the main tank and just kept to the usual 60-70% weekly water change. Been feeding egg yolk strained through cloth, 'Hikari First Bites' and 'Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp'.
Added a pond snail to the breeder box/net today to help clean up. I just suck out any snail poop now and recycle the sand.
Do they seem to like the Ocean Nutrition baby brine? Have thought about buying some.

How often do you change the sand? I don't know how often I should be doing it, I just added a bit more sand from the tank yesterday, but like weekly? Every other day? @NCaquatics ?

Don't think I understand the difference? :oops:
Line breeding is deliberately selecting individuals to breed, but where you know the lines, so they might put a father with a daughter to try to get more of a certain trait, but there are limits to how often it's safe to do that, and genetic diversity is taken into account and included to try to prevent issues.

Inbreeding is throwing 4 cories from the same batch of fry (like my brothers and sisters group) into the same tank and letting them breed again and again down the generations, so that all offspring are closely related. Won't be a problem for a generation or two, but eventually, genetic weakness will show up from the lack of genetic diversity.

Do they seem to like the Ocean Nutrition baby brine? Have thought about buying some.

How often do you change the sand? I don't know how often I should be doing it, I just added a bit more sand from the tank yesterday, but like weekly? Every other day? @NCaquatics ?
I add more sand as the layer thins out from cleaning as needed.
I'll use the pipette and mini siphon to clean out any uneaten food and other waste, some sand sometimes gets cleaned out with it. I'll just add more as it needs it

I add more sand as the layer thins out from cleaning as needed.
I'll use the pipette and mini siphon to clean out any uneaten food and other waste, some sand sometimes gets cleaned out with it. I'll just add more as it needs it
Ah brilliant okay, thank you :) I didn't know whether it needed changing up to refresh the bacteria or something, but I've been doing the same as you, some always gets removed when I'm cleaning, so I just topped up what remained.

Hope your fry are doing well! :wub:

The sand seems to clump up, i think with uneaten food? So yeh, through removing that, I add back what I've taken out. In my mind, I'm also thinking that its adding back some infusoria for food? With regards to the Ocean Nutrition baby brine shrimp.. its hard to know exactly what theyre eating to be honest :dunno:

The inbreeding stuff makes me cringe haha.. after these I won't be harvesting anymore eggs. Should leave me with approx 30 cories in the end, if they all make it

Line breeding is deliberately selecting individuals to breed, but where you know the lines, so they might put a father with a daughter to try to get more of a certain trait, but there are limits to how often it's safe to do that, and genetic diversity is taken into account and included to try to prevent issues.

Inbreeding is throwing 4 cories from the same batch of fry (like my brothers and sisters group) into the same tank and letting them breed again and again down the generations, so that all offspring are closely related. Won't be a problem for a generation or two, but eventually, genetic weakness will show up from the lack of genetic diversity.
Perfect explanation! We use to breed English bulldogs and you may line breed a parent and one of their litter pups to improve heights or more importantly, to improve breathing .

Well, I think I have 73 eggs so far this spawning. If I can get 1/2 of those to hatch then I’ll have 36.5. If I can keep 1/2 of those alive I’ll end up with 18.5 in the end. Let’s see if I do any better this go round. Last time I got 4 (so far still alive) out of over
944D4AE8-2B93-4283-9378-A40C383B997A.jpeg
100. Hope my odds improve a little. :)

Most reactions

Back