My 60L Cube

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

My lens is a 25x macro, you can try to find one less than that. It might prove more versatile for fish photography rather than my use of it for insects lol your phone camera though will still have it's limited focal range, but a lens may bring it closer for you to where you want it.

It takes practice, but you are getting the idea of it well and your photos are showing that.

The next step would be learning how to crop them effectively.

In photography, there's a rule of "grid of nines". Basically an imaginary grid of which you choose your focal point and balance of negative space. It's usually applied to landscape photography, but it is also used in aquascaping as well. I use this but I tweak how it's used depending on the subject I'm taking a photo of. If I'm doing a close up, I like to have the fish's face central to the image.

Did up an example for you, using my pseudomugil gertrudae as a subject.

Here is the original uncropped image. He's out of place, image is unbalanced. He's too far left and it feels weird to look at.

20241007_2114dd43.jpg

Using your photo editor of choice, you can crop the image. Some have the grid on the cropping tool so you can visually see this imaginary grid guide. I also like to lock the original image proportions instead of custom cropping.
In this, I place the fish's face central to the image. If you were wanting to take a wider angle photo with more background as a feature and have the fish as a focal point to the larger photo, you'd place the fish along one of the 4 points where the lines intersect each other. Ideally, you'd want the fish facing the center of the grid, from whichever point you place it.

But for this one, his body is placed on one if those points, with his face in the very center. Hes at an upward right slanted position, so i placed his body on the top right intersection.
Screenshot_20241014_134501_Photo Editor.jpg

This brings to the final result:
20241007_211443.jpg

You don't want to crop too heavy though, because it can ruin your image quality. Learning where that balance is will come down to you playing around with it yourself though. If it becomes pixilated, grainy, or too small, you've cropped too close.

Since the thread has a taken a little tendency to talk about Photos...

Having a tripod and a Bluetooth shutter remote. So the phone remains absolutely immobile when you take shots. Made a tremendous difference in my results.

My lens is a 25x macro, you can try to find one less than that. It might prove more versatile for fish photography rather than my use of it for insects lol your phone camera though will still have it's limited focal range, but a lens may bring it closer for you to where you want it.

It takes practice, but you are getting the idea of it well and your photos are showing that.

The next step would be learning how to crop them effectively.

In photography, there's a rule of "grid of nines". Basically an imaginary grid of which you choose your focal point and balance of negative space. It's usually applied to landscape photography, but it is also used in aquascaping as well. I use this but I tweak how it's used depending on the subject I'm taking a photo of. If I'm doing a close up, I like to have the fish's face central to the image.

Did up an example for you, using my pseudomugil gertrudae as a subject.

Here is the original uncropped image. He's out of place, image is unbalanced. He's too far left and it feels weird to look at.

View attachment 351933

Using your photo editor of choice, you can crop the image. Some have the grid on the cropping tool so you can visually see this imaginary grid guide. I also like to lock the original image proportions instead of custom cropping.
In this, I place the fish's face central to the image. If you were wanting to take a wider angle photo with more background as a feature and have the fish as a focal point to the larger photo, you'd place the fish along one of the 4 points where the lines intersect each other. Ideally, you'd want the fish facing the center of the grid, from whichever point you place it.

But for this one, his body is placed on one if those points, with his face in the very center. Hes at an upward right slanted position, so i placed his body on the top right intersection.
View attachment 351934

This brings to the final result:
View attachment 351935

You don't want to crop too heavy though, because it can ruin your image quality. Learning where that balance is will come down to you playing around with it yourself though. If it becomes pixilated, grainy, or too small, you've cropped too close.
Thank you so much for all these tips! 🤩

I cropped these just about enough using the grid, my iPhone has one built in already:

IMG_3735.jpeg

IMG_3743.jpeg
IMG_3749.jpeg
IMG_3751.jpeg
IMG_3753.jpeg
IMG_3757.jpeg

This one... this one is just mortifyingly horrible..

IMG_3752.jpeg

It just haunts me...

Anyways, for the lenses I've found these two in one listing. I feel like this one would be great:

IMG_3767.png

I didn't trim this one, makes stunning difference uncropped vs cropped..

IMG_3720.jpeg

Of course photos aren't still grainless or perfectly awesome like yours.. I have an iPhone.. they're no good tbf. I'll want to try out my moms old Samsung to see how it'd do.

They're not coming across grainy on my end, they're pretty clear.

Grain usually comes down to it being a lighting issue. Low light means your camera will be utilizing a higher ISO and in turn, that can create grainy photos.

The otocinclus photo is fantastic, I really love that one especially

They're not coming across grainy on my end, they're pretty clear.

Grain usually comes down to it being a lighting issue. Low light means your camera will be utilizing a higher ISO and in turn, that can create grainy photos.

The otocinclus photo is fantastic, I really love that one especially
Tanks lighting is at 100% at all points lol, no algae tho which I find very interesting. Tho I do have light shining at the tank during day time, coming from my window..

Thank you! He's such a great poser! 😁
I really wish I could get him buddies and pygmy cories.. :(

Can't remember if you've mentioned it or not already, but is there a reason you can't get buddies or pygmies?

Feeding crazy :D

IMG_3774.jpeg

IMG_3788.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

One of the 3 snails arrived today, he doesn't seem very happy being cleaned by shrimps lol. He came out only once, then went back in.

IMG_3792.jpeg

Most reactions

Back