My 10 Gallon Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jlw

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My water is dingy looking for some reason. A few weeks ago it looked great then I went 10 days in between cleanings and it hasn't cleared since.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 65
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 49
have you recently cleaned your filter or new gravel or anything like that?

maybe check your filter to see if it's clogged---do you have any wood in the tank---wood can give a tan colored tinge to  the water as it gives off tannins

Did you cycle the tank? Maybe a bacterial bloom? :/
And I know you didn't ask but I'm fairly certain your tank is too small for it's current inhabitants.

Let me give a little more background. I really would like for it to clear. 

Fish: 2 diamond tetras, 1 platy, 1 albino catfish and 1 algae eater (sorry I don;t remember which type). Is this an overstocked tank?

This tank has been up and running for about six months. I've been having problems with Nitrate levels being slightly high. I cleaned the tank with a standard gravel vac on Friday morning (24 hours). Filter doesn't seem to be clogged, in fact it's a new filter. Also, the cycling the tank information is new to me and I'm now trying to learn about it. Honestly, it's been difficult to find quality advice at the local pet stores.

Also, I have no wood in the tank.

TBH, your stocking isn't very good :/

Diamond Tetras need to be in a school of at least 6, and need a bigger tank.
Platies need a bigger tank.
The albino catfish, are you meaning an albino cory catfish? Or an albino bristlenose catfish? Both need to bigger tanks :/
The algae eater - is this a chinese algae eater? If so, it will become extremely aggressive as it ages, sucking the slime coat off your fish. 

You need to rethink your stock, rehoming those that are unsuitable.

When you say new, do you mean you have changed everything? All the filter media? If so, that means you have removed all of your beneficial bacteria, and your cycle will be restarting, which is probably why you have had murky water.

Your tank looks nice BTW (apart from the murkiness :p ) :)

Thanks all for the advice. Based on advice here and reading the guide to cycling I am probably at the beginning of cycling.

I'm kind of bummed I have the wrong mix and type of fish for my size tank. I plan on getting a larger tank once I get a little more experience.

Any suggestions, or references I could read for appropriate fish for a 10 gallon set up?

Would you consider rehoming or returning your current fish and doing a fishless cycle?
It'd save you from stressing the fish and give you time to figure out what to stock.

If you go to your LFS and write down the fish you like, then post the list here, that'd help with figuring out a good stocking list for your tank. :)

Ninjouzata said:
Would you consider rehoming or returning your current fish and doing a fishless cycle?
It'd save you from stressing the fish and give you time to figure out what to stock.

If you go to your LFS and write down the fish you like, then post the list here, that'd help with figuring out a good stocking list for your tank.
smile.png
I will definitely  re-home into a bigger a tank in my house (just need to get one). 

Thanks so much for the information! It will be put to good use.

Update. My tank is starting to clear up. I've been cleaning it about every 6 days. I also discovered I could use the net to really clean out a lot of the floating stuff left behind after using the vacuum. Once I started doing this the water clarity started to improve.

I'm hoping to get a large tank for Christmas so I can put my Tetra's and Platy (sp?) in that one and use the small tank for fish that will thrive well in the smaller area. 

I used a Carbon Bag in my filter. It really helps to clear the water!

Most reactions

Back